Modding EE games

Comments

• well I dont understand how it works, looked on tdd mod some .tra there are some @numbers followed by text, and what about the core summon? How could I create easily new summon from existing creature list? I looked on summon efreeti, I have to create new creature with allegiance: Controlled and assign in new EEF file?
  • konva said:
    How could I create easily new summon from existing creature list? I looked on summon efreeti, I have to create new creature with allegiance: Controlled and assign in new EEF file?
    If you post what you have for your mod, I could show you how to traify that.
    And yes, make new eff-file for controlled creature and use it in your spell. Set level and duration.
  • ok description should be something like this:

Summon Doom Guard
    (conjuration/summoning)

Level: 4
    Range: 20ft.
    Duration: 2 rounds + 1 round/5 levels
    Casting Time: 4
    Area of Effect: Special
    Saving Throw: none

With this powerfull spell, caster is able to summon powerfull Doom Guard to aid him in battle. This creature appears within spell range and can be commanded to attack caster's enemies. However, due to nature of magic, creature cannot last much long and summoned creature lasts until spell expires or its destroyed.

This should be the description :) Thanks for helping me :)
  • btw duration in eff file is determinated how? If I set duration to 2, how many rounds/turns i lasts?
  • edited June 2019
    Could you also explain me, why there are lot of effects?
  • I found it easiest to explain all of it by making a v02 of the earlier example mod.

• There is now a tra sub-folder with a file that has the texts. You can see in the tp2 how those work together. (The original background for this was translations - you can just add another file with all the reference numbers and text in a different language to be used on demand.)

• Second - I added a second component for the spell. It adds a spell, an eff-file and a controllable doom guard.
    To test the spell, just start the game and with console enter this:
    C:Eval('ActionOverride(Player1,AddSpecialAbility("kondgsu"))')

Your player will get a spell icon and you can summon the doom guard.
  • edited June 2019
    Ahh so tp2 file also can get info and instructions from tra files right? And what about the picture I uploaded above?
  • btw how do I remove now the ability? :D
  • Thanks for guiding me. I make few creatures, new spell and also scroll from it :) now I have to make tp2 file :)
  • konva said:
    Ahh so tp2 file also can get info and instructions from tra files right? And what about the picture I uploaded above?
    All the tp2 (or dialogue file or script files) pulls from tra files is text via the reference numbers.
    About the picture I can only guess (without access to the lines content) but often spells have different definitions for the caster's increasing levels.
  • ahh ok thanks :) so now for testing, I have some folders, files, and tp2 file, I have to just rename weidu with name of the tp2 file?
  • konva said:
    ahh ok thanks :) so now for testing, I have some folders, files, and tp2 file, I have to just rename weidu with name of the tp2 file?
    Modfoldername = modfoldername.tp2  >>> setup-modfoldername.exe (for weidu)
    The tp2 is in the modfolder on the same level as your sub-folders. (subfolders may have further subs if needed)
    Use the same pattern/structure like I have used it in the example mod.
  • ahh ok thanks :) Could you please take a look on what I have done atm? Test it also if it is balanced --> hard and not overpowered rewards, and if you have any ideas about improvement, I could hear that.. btw I also wanna do some dialogue but this is hard for me atm
  • konva said:
    ahh ok thanks :) Could you please take a look on what I have done atm? Test it also if it is balanced --> hard and not overpowered rewards, and if you have any ideas about improvement, I could hear that.. btw I also wanna do some dialogue but this is hard for me atm
    Silly question...this is a bgee mod?
  • It should be EET mod
  • edited June 2019
    konva said:
    It should be EET mod
    It is missing the tra-file.
    Also, maybe the item should also have a name and description

So the encounter ar2600 is NOT in Candlekeep (BG2600 in EET) but in the underdark exit area where you meet the elves?

You can also add
    REQUIRE_PREDICATE GAME_IS ~ eet~   @xxxx

@xxxx=~This mod is exclusive for EET games~

• wait, i found a mistake ill uploaded fixed one :D
    test.rar 871.2K
  • edited June 2019
    yeah item I forgot.. ok so for EET I have to replace all scripts ar**** with bg***?
    or only baf ones?
  • Last entry in the tra file is missing @34 =~Doom Guard~

The first line of the tp2 should be BACKUP ~Konvas Encounters/backup~ otherwise you create a second mod folder with the wrong name and have trouble uninstalling the mod.

• So, I found the four assassins in the BG1 areas (I installed the mod on a BGEE game, since that what it is at the moment, it is not EET).
    The one at Gorion'd death site should be placed a bit differently (I know I made him there but that was just for demonstration purpose), In game you maybe just have Imoen at that moment when you go there and then it is slightly overpowered.

The item should have a description that you may add like that:
    SAY NAME1 @23
    SAY NAME2 @24
    SAY UNIDENTIFIED_DESC @24
    SAY DESC @25
    Also, I did not find it in the game - that will come later?

• I cheated in the scroll and Eldith was able to learn the spell, so that works.

In the tra file, the second line of @32 should be moved to become the first line in @33

I summoned the guard after Eldoth learned the spell and it works. He vanishes rather quickly - but this may be your intention. I would give him a bit more of existence but it may depend on how/when you make that scroll available. It is a level 4 spell and maybe a bit more powerful.

Also check the doom guards cre file. Because I copied him from some other creature there are some lines that appear at "invalid #xxxxx", which means there is no corresponding text in every game. To fix this
    Look into the cre-file for the lines that have Sound: and some string entry. I suggest to set those to -1 in case they contain a number.
  • One last thing
    You need to decide if the mod is BGEE or EET or both (i.e. EET mod for the BG1 part of the game).

Currently it is coded as BGEE.

You can make it work for both with some external code you add which will convert things like the BGEE areas to EET areas. Ot you can make it EET exclusive if you plan to add things for the BG2 part to it.
  • I have made an
    konva said:
    yeah item I forgot.. ok so for EET I have to replace all scripts ar**** with bg***?
    or only baf ones?
    Wait!

I will provide you with a version that can work on BGEE and EET and where the correct references are automatically inserted.
    Change nothing yet.
  • I have converted your mod to work with BGEE and EET.

- you see a new subfolder lib which contains the references for BGEE You see that it is checked in the first ALWAYS block in your tp2 if the game is BGEE. There is another entry for the case that the game is EET. The corresponding file is NOT in your mod folder but you see a path to the EET mod folder. If the game is EET then this folder is there and can be used. The advantage is that you do not need to care about this file ever, the EET mod will always have the most recent version.
    - you see that your area scripts now use some placeholders that the EVAL_BUFFER will convert into the correct area name. The same is inside the baf-files
    - for new areas follow that new naming pattern. The area references you need are in the tpa-file in the lib folder.

Note - this setup may appear lot of work at the beginning, just like the extra tra-file stuff.Invest this work, you will not regret it.
    Once your mod is growing it makes things far easier. Once you have some structure set up, it is very easy and fast to add more content. You never need to bother about these issues again later and can really spent your time with the "real" stuff.

You may have seen in some mods that their tp2 is very lean and just includes an extra tpa file for every component. Whether you use that or not...I think it is valid for mods with many optional components. I never used it myself but that is personal preference and also depends on the type of mods I do.

PS - another thing to consider is whether your mod components are independent from each other. Many mods have a main/core component and some optionals that require the main to be installed first. In this case you should add a check for it.
  • Roxanne said:
    So, I found the four assassins in the BG1 areas (I installed the mod on a BGEE game, since that what it is at the moment, it is not EET).
    The one at Gorion'd death site should be placed a bit differently (I know I made him there but that was just for demonstration purpose), In game you maybe just have Imoen at that moment when you go there and then it is slightly overpowered.

The item should have a description that you may add like that:
    SAY NAME1 @23
    SAY NAME2 @24
    SAY UNIDENTIFIED_DESC @24
    SAY DESC @25
    Also, I did not find it in the game - that will come later?

Thanks alot, where did you find them? The one at gorion's death site is not mine, it should be alvarnus near the tree with diamond :) And the rest of the assassins are ok?
    Roxanne said:
    I cheated in the scroll and Eldith was able to learn the spell, so that works.

In the tra file, the second line of @32 should be moved to become the first line in @33

I summoned the guard after Eldoth learned the spell and it works. He vanishes rather quickly - but this may be your intention. I would give him a bit more of existence but it may depend on how/when you make that scroll available. It is a level 4 spell and maybe a bit more powerful.

Also check the doom guards cre file. Because I copied him from some other creature there are some lines that appear at "invalid #xxxxx", which means there is no corresponding text in every game. To fix this
    Look into the cre-file for the lines that have Sound: and some string entry. I suggest to set those to -1 in case they contain a number.
    Well, 4th level summon with powerful being summoned, needs some balance. In tough fight he might be vauable even for a short moment :) I wanna increase duration, but, this would be made by adding another ability, same effect, but level increased duration? How long does a "round" lasts in seconds? Near Infinity also works with seconds in real time?

For the rest, I respond later, now I go to work :D
  • edited June 2019
    You are right about Alvarnus. It was my own spawn because I still had my early test version installed on the same game...
    And yes, your reasoning about the duration thing makes sense.

I think they are all very well placed. The one in Candlekeep can be avoided if the player is still too weak. The one near the diamond tree and the one near the "secret ring" at FAI make sense since they let you fight for some very good loot you can gain early in the game.

Just one observation - only the mage dropped a bounty notice for me. This may be intent though.
  • Roxanne said:
    You are right about Alvarnus. It was my own spawn because I still had my early test version installed on the same game...
    And yes, your reasoning about the duration thing makes sense.

I think they are all very well placed. The one in Candlekeep can be avoided if the player is still too weak. The one near the diamond tree and the one near the "secret ring" at FAI make sense since they let you fight for some very good loot you can gain early in the game.

Just one observation - only the mage dropped a bounty notice for me. This may be intent though.
    About observation, thanks, I forgot to remove this loot from Tarnesh model :D as for timing spell, what exactly near infinity uses, real time seconds? How many seconds round lasts?
  • Also, when it comes putting scroll into game, its the same way as putting creature to area?

• konva said:
    Also, when it comes putting scroll into game, its the same way as putting creature to area?
    No.
    There are various ways and you need to decide. You can
    - receive the scroll from a quest
    - find it on a dead creature
    - find it in a chest/container/shelf etc
    - buy it in a shop/temple
  • I know that ways :) i mean the way how to script it :) when I want to add it to store :) and also some components in future adds further rewards :) .. what about the time? :)