Dialog Crashes

Hello to all! I've encountered two errors. The first one was in the Irenicus dungeon, when I was trying to free Jaheira. I finally surpassed it, when I denied to help at first time and initiate a dialog after that. The other crash is again in the Irenicus dungeon, when the party was at the library and Imoen told me about Candlekeep and teleport the main character 10 years ago, when he was younger and inexperienced. Finally I met Gorion , it gives me 2 choices, sadly it crashes to desktop. Any idea? Thank you very much!

Comments

• edited June 18
    Which language are you playing?
    Crashes like this may happen if you play with a mod that uses incompatible text symbols in added dialogues (in non-English translations).
    Could you post (as an attachment) the file weidu.log from your game directory?
  • I play english, attaching the weidu.log 
  • If I understand correctly from the weidu.log maybe the problem is this mod
    ~THOGHMA/SETUP-THOGHMA.TP2~ #2 #0 // A Quest in the service of Oghma: v1.8
    or this one
    ~ARESTORATIONP/ARESTORATIONP.TP2~ #1 #1 // Restored Characters and Dialogs: v8.4

• Strange. There is nothing unusual in your log. I have no idea about the Jaheira event.

The second event is from a Check the Bodies episode. Please test this - enter into console while you are still in Irenicus Dungeon
    C:MoveToArea("ar3501") to see if anything is wrong with graphics or creature files.

You can also avoid the whole event if you enter this code into console before you enter the library
    C:SetGlobal("TeleportChores","AR0602",2)
  • Thank you very much for your quick reply! With this one C:MoveToArea("ar3501") everyone teleported as expected to this area and I think everything is ok. With the second one, Imoen told me about Candlekeep and I avoid this event , cause I dont think I played CtB in the past is it possible to continue it somehow in the future or trigger the second event? I have a bad feeling that I will have a lot of these errors in the future...
  • Space_Signal said:
    Thank you very much for your quick reply! With this one C:MoveToArea("ar3501") everyone teleported as expected to this area and I think everything is ok. With the second one, Imoen told me about Candlekeep and I avoid this event , cause I dont think I played CtB in the past is it possible to continue it somehow in the future or trigger the second event? I have a bad feeling that I will have a lot of these errors in the future...
    The Candlekeep episode is a separated and encapsulated event, so it should have no ripple effect. However, if more such events appear, then something is wrong with the game which is not obvious from the current data.
    Just hope the best.
    Did you encounter anything of that nature during the BG1 or SoD campaigns?
  • Unfortunately I started a new playthrough in BG2EE, I read here 
    http://baldursextendedworld.com/Vanilla_Forums/discussion/119/extraction-issues
    and I did this test C:Eval('TextScreen("Scene01")') and everything was fine, if it helps somehow...

• Ok, I made a char to make a test in SoD, I had again a ctd when I talking to a character, dont remember her name, in the beginning of the game...
  • Space_Signal said:
    Ok, I made a char to make a test in SoD, I had again a ctd when I talking to a character, dont remember her name, in the beginning of the game...
    This is in fact odd, so it seems it has nothing to do with any specific mod.
    This rather sounds like a corruption of the main file for dialogues, i.e. dialog.tlk.

If this is really the case, all that is left to do is to completely delete the games and start from a fresh set of the original games. Before you start modding, you should test the Jaheira scene and the SoD scene you just mentioned to make sure that your un-modded game does not already contain the error.
  • I am very very sorry, I mean , I made a test in the eet and I selected SoD campaign and finally had the ctd. I made these tests in the original unmodded games and everything was fine
  • Space_Signal said:
    I am very very sorry, I mean , I made a test in the eet and I selected SoD campaign and finally had the ctd. I made these tests in the original unmodded games and everything was fine
    Do you have any more detail of which dialogue in SoD it is?

• Yes, with Ammon 
  • In the room which is right to the starting point
  • I see.
    Does it crash right on the opening line that he is supposed to say?
  • I spoke to her : she tells sth about ingredients 
    I ask her who is she
    she answers
    and then I have 4 choices 
    I have a ctd to every choice I made
  • My hope was there would be some pattern in those dialogues that crash and that may help to find the origin of the problem. However, I see none.
    Especially the SoD one is wondrous because I know of no mod that may change that dialogue.
    You say that you played and modded the game in English. Is that the original game language of the installation as well? You can crosscheck that when you open the file baldur.lua in your documentsfolder/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition Trilogy/baldur.lua - any text editor will do.
    Search for the line
    SetPrivateProfileString('Language','Text','en_US') maybe the en_US is something different for you
  • Every installation was in english, I checked the baldur.lua for modded and unmodded game is this one you mentioned above...
  • I suppose regional format or language settings doesn't count for possible problems.
    When I installed these mods I forgot to turn off antivirus..
    From the ee-debug installation I found this

Automatically Skipping [EET core (resource importation)] because of error.
    Using Language [English]
    [.\lang\en_us\dialog.tlk] created, 273225 string entries

NOT INSTALLED DUE TO ERRORS EET core (resource importation)

F:\BGEE\Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition>
    ERROR: COPY ~C:\Users\Miltos\Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition Trilogy/Baldur.lua~ ~C:\Users\Miltos\Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition Trilogy/Baldur.lua~ FAILED: cannot open target
    ERROR: Sys_error("C:\\Users\\Miltos\\Documents\\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition Trilogy/Baldur.lua: Permission denied")
    Enhanced Edition Trilogy (Enhanced Edition Trilogy) was not installed due to errors.

Without this component the installation cannot be continued.

You can try to repair the problem and install the component again afterwards. In this case please select "retry" after the repair.

If you don't want to spend time on that now, you can also exit the program.
    Enter [r]etry or [e]xit.
    [r]
    I hit retry and everything was fine
  • Space_Signal said:
    Every installation was in english, I checked the baldur.lua for modded and unmodded game is this one you mentioned above...
    I admit that I am clueless. Other than to assume that dialog.tlk has been broken by whatever accident for you I see no other explanation. The game tries to retrieve some text in those dialogues and cannot find it or cannot display it.

Sorry to say that a broken dialog.tlk file cannot be restored.
    The only way ahead I see is to delete the whole modded game and restore fresh versions of the original games.
  • Ok! I will do it, today! I will report here again! Thank you very much for your effort!
  • edited June 20
    Hello! I made the installation again, I think everything is ok! You were right about the dialog.tlk file, it was damaged! Checked the ee debug log and except the usual parse errors and a weird 

weidu_external/lang/english/ubsetup.tra file not found. Skipping...
    weidu_external/lang/english/setup.tra file not found. Skipping...

everything was fine! You made a faithful bg player happy again! Thank you...
  • Hello! Unfortunately I found another error during my play, in the first dream I saw, which is Gorion's dream restored , I made the trials and I followed the good path (6/6 ). I don't know if it is intended but the sorcerer's candle in the third trial is in my inventory even though I saved the sorcerer, finally I met gorion after the challenges were finished and I had ctd  when gorion said this : I hope that I prepared you enough, my adopted son...
  • edited June 21

Hello! Unfortunately I found another error during my play, in the first dream I saw, which is Gorion's dream restored , I made the trials and I followed the good path (6/6 ). I don't know if it is intended but the sorcerer's candle in the third trial is in my inventory even though I saved the sorcerer, finally I met gorion after the challenges were finished and I had ctd  when gorion said this : I hope that I prepared you enough, my adopted son...
    After that line there comes another text and then a selection for the player. There are not even any translations here that may cause a CTD. This is in the middle of a random and normal dialogue with no special action or anything.

Do you get that crash when you drop the candle before you do the final quest?
  • Yes I had the same ctd with the candle in my inventory and without it (dropped it near the sorcerer), also I observed something else, somehow the game is looking for the character hp between 4th and 5th trial, when I am below the half hp instead of loading the fifth dream my character starting in the little room where gorion started the conversation for the ''between'' , but without gorion 
  • No I dont have that crash when I drop the candle
  • Yes I had the same ctd with the candle in my inventory and without it (dropped it near the sorcerer), also I observed something else, somehow the game is looking for the character hp between 4th and 5th trial, when I am below the half hp instead of loading the fifth dream my character starting in the little room where gorion started the conversation for the ''between'' , but without gorion 
    When you get injured too much during the gnoll battle, you "awake" and the dream is over, that is correct.

Still...crashing the game makes no sense in any case...

Do you have a savegame that you can post so I may test the case?

• Attaching the save file
  • edited June 21
    Space_Signal said:
    Attaching the save file
    I tested all variations (candle, no candle, gnolls win, gnolls defeated). They all worked for me. I chose a reward from Gorion and I gained a special ability.

I still have no clue what can make your games crash randomly in normal conversations.

Are you playing on any special device that may have issues with display of texts? Do you see any strange issues with GUI?
  • Thank you very much for your effort again, I plan to loose from gnolls in order to continue the game and report any conversation crash again in the future!
  • Space_Signal said:
    Thank you very much for your effort again, I plan to loose from gnolls in order to continue the game and report any conversation crash again in the future!
    There is another possibility...
    In your save I noticed that all of these events you reported happened in Irenicus dungeon, or better - in scenes where you were transported from the dungeon but you party remained there. There is a possibility that something is happening in the dungeon while the view is elsewhere with your player character. If so, it is something that did not happen in my tests with your save.

We probably only will know if your trouble continues when you left the dungeon.