Tales of Anegh

I noticed you're updating the Tales of Anegh mod.

Do you think what's been said here is still valid?
https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/76089/mod-spotlight-tales-of-anegh

I'm particularly referring to "The mod was originally written in German, though, and the English translation is pretty rough – which is distracting, and in some conversations actually makes it difficult to understand the meaning".

How would you judge the mod overall?

Comments

• The background story is weird and the lore does not fit at all into the game. What is said about the translation is correct although the current version has some improvements.
    The side quests are silly, given that you get access to the mod rather late in the game.

It is not a mod that is played very much so that bug reports are few, which means there are potential more hidden still. I have only done ever the main plot again after the first play I did many years ago in BGT because the side quests were such a waste of time.

Overall, it is a mod only for those who have done everything else already and are willing/able to troubleshoot if necessary. Expect nothing and be surprised by what you may get.
  • Perfectly clear, thank you  :)
  • @Blash
    What did you find with ToA?
  • I'm trying this one out now, started it in ToB within Amethrekan.    The dialogue/syntax is pretty brutal so far. like a semi-competent translation job.  I'll jot a few notes as I go and write a blurb or two about it.  I already read the comments about this older Mod on SHS.  Apparently it needed quite a bit of work to make it EE compatible, so I'm expecting some kind of bizarre glitch (or two or three).  Deutchsland Uber Alles!
  • Played about an hour's worth last evening.  Already having problems with this mod.  For instance:

1.  Cleared the village and surrounding area of Chimera Cult enemies, then began hunting for side quest items, (pipe, free the villagers).  Found the pipe, freed the prisoners.  Found two "generals" that are supposed to provide certain plans for their invasion/army.  I understand that there are three generals according to the dialogue.  Got one general drunk and rec'd one part of the plan.  Fought and killed another for another part.  Can't find the third general, and have entered every available home, building and tent. So now I'm stuck.  Must have all three war plans to satisfy the village commander's quest.

2.  Found this little Igor mage character inside a basement.  Might have been the worst map I've ever tried to navigate with doors and objects blacking out parts of the basement map. He introduced some quest to find scroll fragments.  Not sure how many are needed.  Igor meets us at the marketplace, gates in a slayer-looking guardian creature, which I defeat, and get/loot a scroll fragment from the body.  Says afterwards that I'll need more, then teleports away without giving any info/instructions.
    Now what do I do?  I wander around, going back to previously visited areas, and suddenly a scripted second Slayer-guardian pops in, I kill it, and find another scroll fragment.  Then nothing.  No reappearance of Igor, no other clues, and no dialogue from various village inhabitants or Anegh leaders.  

3.  Can't figure it out.  Something is either not working, or I missed a clue on General number 3 and the Scroll fragment quest.  So I'm trapped in this village and can't travel out to leave.  This means that I've obviously not done something necessary, and or some global variable didn't trigger.

So far, this mod appears to need some work in order to get it flowing better.  I'm considering bailing out on this one, and not going to bother with it.  I WANT to play the mod, but it isn't exactly inviting me back or piquing my interest. 
  • 2. The scroll fragments are all over the various areas but you need to get access to more of Anegh first by solving 1. No need to search, the quest finds you. There are certain area triggers throughout that make more guys with scroll parts spawn (the tale behind it all is really weird...)
    1. Just need to know which are the guys you found already.
  • I had a look at my inventory in EE keeper to see what I had, in order to guess who I found so far, as I don't know the generals names.  

I have Battle Report 2 and 3.  (War Plans I called them above).  So I assume General One I never found.  I can add Battle Report 1 to my inventory manually if needed, and then report back to the Anegh Commander in his command tent.  Maybe that will open up the areas you are referring to, Roxanne.

I also have scroll fragments Z_Free1 and 2.

And I have about 30 Varscona longswords, Plate of the Dark +1 and +2 Halberds in my bag of Holding as loot, lol.
  • So report #1 (Z_ber1.itm) is on General Zahiki who is in house #3 which is the next one west of the smithy in the village.
  • Thanks R. I'll check and report back later if I was able to find it.  Sorry if it feels like you need to nurse maid me through this.
  • edited May 2
    LichDiet said:
    Thanks R. I'll check and report back later if I was able to find it.  Sorry if it feels like you need to nurse maid me through this.
    I know that it is difficult when you enter a mod that is said to have bugs to really decide if you have met one now or just missed something in a normal way. Better to ask and we find that out, before you give up on it and (possible) bugs remain unnoticed.

• I suppose so.  If anything I'll perhaps notice something amiss that can perhaps be fixed/improved for those who want to try the Mod later on.  It can also help others who are stuck when they read past commentary about mods on forums.  So I don't mind being a punching bag for testing purposes.

I found General Z (I couldn't get through the door initially, due to Afaaq and Shadow Familiar in the party), but it was my fault for not trying harder and repositioning, then I forgot that I missed that particular house.  So the mod worked fine.  I have now transitioned through the mountain pass with the guide.  Onward we go!  
  • If I remember correctly, those events for the scroll will happen at locations that have odd runes or similar on the ground. There is also a time trigger between events, so they may happen one time or other when you pass such a place.
    The mod can be a bit confusing with several quests active where you need 3 of that and 2 of another, etc...
  • I'll keep an eye out for those runes.  You are right in that there are new quests being added as I go.  Already in the Mountain Pass area I have a quest from Winnibald the Crazy Lunatic Mage, and also found a mysterious Magic Board.  Hmm..

I give credit to the initial developer for putting this mod together, it has some pretty good design in places.  Also, the translator from German to English added some decent diary entries for specific quests, so at least you can sort of track that there is actually a open quest.  The general dialogue translations to English need more work.  There are some very awkward conversions and grammar/pro noun/ verbiage etc.  But usually one can figure out the general meaning.
  • LichDiet said:
    I'll keep an eye out for those runes.  You are right in that there are new quests being added as I go.  Already in the Mountain Pass area I have a quest from Winnibald the Crazy Lunatic Mage, and also found a mysterious Magic Board.  Hmm..

I give credit to the initial developer for putting this mod together, it has some pretty good design in places.  Also, the translator from German to English added some decent diary entries for specific quests, so at least you can sort of track that there is actually a open quest.  The general dialogue translations to English need more work.  There are some very awkward conversions and grammar/pro noun/ verbiage etc.  But usually one can figure out the general meaning.
    Maybe my problem is that I understand a bit of German (I learned it from my grandmother and even spent a year in Germany in my youth). Probably I automatically translate it backwards and so get the meaning without paying much attention to it...

• I understand what you saying there. Personally, I forgot more German from school than I remember. Also,  I lived in the Netherlands for several years, so I additionally have my Dutch mixing with German as well.  Both are Germanic languages, but are drastically different in certain phrases, pronunciation or sentence structure.  I'm no longer even marginally fluent in either due to disuse.  If I had to order something to eat in German now, it would probably sound like an Orc, "How much monies? Me like food".
  • I'm at another impasse.  I've just spoken with General Nekanar, who invites me to rest and when ready let him know that he is to help us proceed with killing some other Chimera General.

After resting outside the general's tent (Area Z2BERG) and saving, I head back into the command tent and speak with General Nekenar, who asks "Are You Ready?"  and I reply "Let us conquer the general".

A quick cut scene tasks place outside the tent, a mage teleports us to a different part of the Z2BERG map.  We battle three different sets of chimera goons, only to end up in the map's NW corner.  Screen shot below:

As you can see, there is a blacked out block in the upper L corner of the map which occludes what appears to be another tent.  So, I can't get anywhere, there is no passable entrance to the tent, and there is no enemy general.  Party is stuck, can't go back to the command tent, and mod is therefore broken at this juncture.

What should I do?
  • I think I know what the problem is (EE-PVRZ convention, mixes areas ZHBerg and Z2Berg because the second letter is omitted and they both end up with the same name but different tile set...)

Try this
    Extract the attached file to override. Please also do me the favour and check area ZHBerg after you patched the files.

• Hey that seemed to work like a boss Roxanne!  I extracted the zip contents (after scanning/checking with malware bytes - sorry, just in case) and replaced all the similar names in the override folder, then went back to the save game and gave it another try.  Screen shot below:

and viola! The block of impenetrable darkness is gone.  I also see an entryway into the tent now.

How do you want me to check Area ZHBerg?  By visiting it with party at the current save?  Or inspect it with an editor?
  • You can simply use console
    C:MoveToArea("zhberg")

But I found an old installation of Anegh on an external drive and I just checked it myself meanwhile. Looked good to me. Seems that my intuition had not betrayed me here...
  • Ok I did it.  Is this zhberg? See below

• Yes that is it. Looks fine as well.
  • Thanks so much for the help Roxanne.  I'll continue the adventure, and report any bizarreness, if any.  Will you need to add that area fix to the current BEW Tales or Anegh mod download version?
  • LichDiet said:
    Thanks so much for the help Roxanne.  I'll continue the adventure, and report any bizarreness, if any.  Will you need to add that area fix to the current BEW Tales or Anegh mod download version?
    The mod has been updated with the new files.

• I've finished the adventure.  No further problems or glitches noticed.  It was strange story-line, as Roxanne alluded to earlier in this thread.
    I'll give props to the developer for a lot of original content and off the wall ideas.  The Anegh village and war didn't fit into anything to do with ToB, other than another Bhaalspawn was used as a plot device.  Still it was a nice diversion and a decent side-quest.  The extra XP put me at the XP cap, unfortunately, so I have no more leveling up possible for the rest of the Ascension run.  For those who want to know, I'd say the mod is worth playing once.  It would not be very good for repeat play value however, as it just doesn't have much, if any, non-linear choice potential.   Also, for English language readers, be prepared for some head scratching dialogue translations.  auf Wiedersehen!