CtB

Hello,

Thanks  for the new CtB project.   In your new 2020 game, I see that you kept CtB but not the new modules.   If we want to try them can we choose only them and ignore CtB or do we have to select everyone of them? 
Also, how many CtB modules do you plan to release?  

Comments

• I was too fast with my 2020 installation. The way it will be in the end is that you choose either the modules you like or the big old mod.

Right now I am testing a fifth one, Speak to the Dead. This was bugged in a way that you could never solve the quest, at least not in BG2EE, maybe in EET.

Currently I have
    • Velvetfoot
    • Drow Library
    • Holly the Elf
    • Candlekeep Memories (a modernized version of Chores + Fast Forward)
    • Speak to the Dead
    I have on my list for sure
    • Master Vampire
    • Liberation of Hlondeth (this will take some time as it is really a big quest mod in its own right, with a whole new town, a main quest and several side quests. I would also modify this episode in a way that it can be played without taking some mandatory NPC into the party - an NPC without any other content that is forced onto the group.)
    I am unsure about the Company of Eight in Tethir forest. This is not only extremely bugged (always was) but also conceptually doubtful. I am wondering if it is worth the effort and if anyone takes the pain to play it.

I will leave out Academy of Kudin because the addition of overpowered items and spells does not fit anymore. What is more show stopping is that the way spells etc are added creates a large number of compatibility issues with more modern mods. This episode is dead weight.

I am still searching the old overview of all the episodes there were.

Another change I make is that class specific limitations for some quests are removed. They a) were not justified in the first place b) are not apparent in the game itself - you get quest announcement even if you cannot do the quest c) the classes are more now in EE.
  • Would it be possible to merely re-balance Academy of Kudin with different items and spells?
  • Would it be possible to merely re-balance Academy of Kudin with different items and spells?
    Having that big mod in modules may provide a chance for someone with a knack for spells to pick this up. Why not?

• edited February 12
    After some more digging into bugs and more bugs etc, this is my list of quests from CtB worth an overhaul:

• Master Vampire (released)
    • Hlondeth (main quests, making the forced NPC non-joinable)
    • Elves and Artefacts (released)
    • Helping Melynda the mute (released)
    • Civil Disobedience (released)
    • Got Ice (released)
    There are other "quests" but they consist largely of running around Athkatla to find items that can be re-forged and enhanced to overpowered items...
    Some other modules are just tactical encounters and not up to date for BG2EE or EET.
  • I guess that will be largely enough so as to enjoy playing it again. No need to waste your time with modules without added value for sure.  Keep up the good work!
  • edited February 7
    • Elves and Artefacts
    • Civil Disobedience
    are available now as well.
  • Melinda the Mute is available now as well.
  • You're doing quick and well.  I'll wait till every module is available to relaunch a playthrough
  • "Have Ice?" is available now as well.

This was really challenging because the original caused CtDs, had a meager ending and did not have much of a content. Here, I did a bit more than just updating and bugfixing in that I also provided alternative outcomes that make the quest hopefully worthwhile.

Ice melts - a big ice block may reveal a secret. You can get money, XP and reputation by delivering it to the Delosar Inn or take your time to find out what an old hero left for you.
  • You're doing quick and well.  I'll wait till every module is available to relaunch a playthrough
    This may still take some time. The real big bugs are still to come - Vampire, Hlondeth, (Company of Eight - I have an idea how it could be resurrected but I am still not sure if it is worth the effort at all...).
    I never make estimates or promises, but these will take weeks. Much is testing which is significant because these modules allow many different ways to deal with the quests.

• I am very excited about your efforts, and I think your approach to recovering these mods is truly the most effective, thank you very much :)
  • This is truly fantastic. I always hoped someone would do this with CtB. Thanks Roxanne
  • Master Vampire is available now as well.
  • Two questions:

Does adding these single newly released components also adds new spells to the game? Or just the quests?

Can I assume that the single quests you just released are now polished and (as much as possible) bug free?
  • Blash said:
    Two questions:

Does adding these single newly released components also adds new spells to the game? Or just the quests?

Can I assume that the single quests you just released are now polished and (as much as possible) bug free?
      - Spells (and items) are added as needed by the quests. However, in none of the components there are spells added that the party may learn and that may collide with the original game or other spell mods.
    I think your question was aimed at the second issue? The CtB original had numerous overpowered spells and scrolls added to the game, also many loot items etc. They were not related to the quests and are omitted.

- The second was the intention behind the whole exercise. The verdict will come from the players.
  • I don't like non AD&D spells, and your answer is reassuring. Glad no items and spells are added.

As for the second aspect, I'm thinking about making a new install including them.. I'm very tempted.
  • Blash said:
    I don't like non AD&D spells, and your answer is reassuring. Glad no items and spells are added.

As for the second aspect, I'm thinking about making a new install including them.. I'm very tempted.
    To be honest, I would not do that.
    After what I have reworked from CtB, I now must admit that my memory of these quests made them appear better than they are. Nostalgia, I would say. This stuff has not aged well.
    So, take them next time you get a chance but they are not worth to restart a game for them.
  • Thank you for the valuable advice  :)
  • Is it the same with the main quest, the only one you still have to rework? 
  • Maravenore said:
    Is it the same with the main quest, the only one you still have to rework? 
    What is the main quest for you? Hlondeth?
  • That's what I understood yes.
  • Maravenore said:
    That's what I understood yes.
    This one - in my opinion - needs more than bugfixing and updating, it requires a bit of a re-writing to make it worthwhile playing.

As it stands now it has two subquests.
    a) a large tactical challenge which is bugged like hell but provides almost no content other than to fight an endless sequence of enemy waves on a place resembling the Firewine Bridge. Nothing is interesting here because the enemies are all the same and all that is required is endurance. Nevertheless, you need to do this to get to the next step.

b) winning the battle in a) gives you credibility to join the resistance group that want to free Hlondeth from invaders. This is a bit more interesting and actually the core of the mod. It needs de-bugging and may interest players to some extend. However, in its current state it requires you to take a new NPC from resistance into the group who will again leave at the end of the quest. Means you have to kick someone else out. That new NPC is completely uninteresting and useless and the requirement to take her is outdated (and technically unnecessary).

My idea is to streamline a), debug it, make the battle shorter but the opponents more interesting.

My plan for b) is to turn the NPC into a 7th member for the plot so you do not have to kick someone out. Also to only let her appear when necessary, a bit like Corwin or Imoen during the early SoD events. Another thing is to make the plot itself more consistent, currently there are a couple of 8 hour waiting periods with nothing else to do around town (and your timed stronghold stuff may run meanwhile). The random spawning of important contact persons is cumbersome and bug-prone and needs to be revisited. The ending needs refinement.

After that, it may turn into a nice little episode to play but still nothing sensational. Nostalgia without the bugs or overpowered issues at best.
  • I see. Thanks for the answer and good luck for this great load of work.
  • I just put together an install myself when I saw that you started on this CtB project and now I may hold off until you're done to play a better version of CtB. I hope the all the content / quests do get ported over as much as possible because I primarily want to see all the content / quests in a mega-install.

I'm glad that you're making them more interesting and balancing rewards.
  • How necessary is this component of the old CtB if I'm using the new CtB modules?

Thankee!
  • New modules are standalone and need no old fixes. Most likely it will not even install together.
  • Do the new modules also include the klatu fixes "No Venereal Diseases" and "Fixed Harp of Myth Drannor?"
  • Endarire said:
    Do the new modules also include the klatu fixes "No Venereal Diseases" and "Fixed Harp of Myth Drannor?"
    No. The episode containing those elements has not yet been included - if it ever will. This is incompatible outdated stuff to begin with...

• edited February 23
    So Roxanne, what do you think of the update proposed to the original mod by Gwendolyne recently ? There's a lot of bugfixes and improvements to components but i do not have your expertise to say if it will be enough to ensure those quests are not, as you say, too old and uninteresting by design...
  • I noticed that huge update too.. I wonder if Hlondeth has been fixed too..