Weird Bug with Neira, the Nashkel Inn Assassin

Hey Roxanne,

I have experienced a weird bug. It’s relative minor but I thought I would bring it up. 

I arrived at Nashkel and immediately went to the inn. From across the room, Neira begins her dialogue. There are two problems with this. One, I’m positive that Neira is supposed to walk over to your party, and not initiate dialogue with her On the other side of the building. Second, her audio file (GENFT01.wav - “I’m going to slit your throat”), seems to be playing twice at the same time. Hope that makes sense. I’m reasonably sure that there is not a problem with the .wav file but rather a problem with Neira.cre file. What I would like to figure out is, has this happen to someone else? Is this an indication of a bigger problem?

i can kind of fix it. If I replace the cre file from my other install and put it in the override folder, and start a new game. Neira is fixed. I’m wondering if there is a way to fix her without starting a new game?

Also kind of a general question, in your current install, do you experience minor bugs from time to time?

Thank you very much for your time and insight. 

Comments

• I am afraid you may have deleted the evidence already by which we might have traced the problem, i.e. the Neira.cre file that existed before you replaced it - or did you secure it somewhere?
    Still, you might just run changelog for Neira.cre to see if any mod has changed her. In case this is an EET game, you best do it in the BGEE and the BG2EE because it might have been tweaked by a mod that installed in either part.

In my own installation her behaviour at the initial meeting is tweaked by SCS and depends on the difficulty setting you have. Maybe it is the same for you?

(Note - SCS components 5900 and 6000 are the only ones for me to touch the creature, except for EET_Tweaks that reduces the XP for killing her, but I do not suspect that one to cause any change in behaviour.)

Her sound file (in my case) is triggered either by the initial meeting trigger or when you click on her. If you click on her while the first trigger has fired you get the same wav twice - not sure if that explains it for you.

(And yes, I encounter minor bugs from time to time. You need to be more specific if you need detailed information.)
  • I still have the "original" .cre file. I edited it slightly via near infinity, but the problem still remains.

I did not click on her during the initial meeting. Unless, somehow the game did it for me.

Not looking for a specific bug to my last question, just asking to see if your install was bug free or not.

How do you run the changelog?
  • So, I just did a search for Neira.cre. And I found the following mod components made changes to her in the following order.

CDTweaks #3010
    SCS #6000
    SCS #6010
    SCS #6040
    SCS #6100
    EET #2052
    PPE #0

Is there any chance that the problem lies within the EET Mod?

I suppose not, or else I would have seen it before. The problem probably lies somewhere in the SCS components.

• My last question in my original post from this thread, was just to make sure that even someone as experienced as you still has minor bugs in your install. That it wasn't just me not doing the install properly.
  • I put the problem .cre file in the zip file.
  • I think what you encounter is intended.
    If your difficulty setting is higher than EASY, she is not supposed to walk up to you to initiate dialogue, only if you run EASY this is the case. Look at the script DW#SHDLG.bcs which SCS assigns to her in the override slot.
    In one case the command is Dialog([PC]) in the other it is StartDialogNoSet([PC]) and the second can be started from a distance unless something is specified in the trigger block (which is not the case here).
  • Since the earlier file is not the final, I decided to also post the .cre file from PPE backup folder. I can't imagine that PPE is the cause.

If you have any insight, I would greatly appreciate it.
  • DLA1992 said:
    Since the earlier file is not the final, I decided to also post the .cre file from PPE backup folder. I can't imagine that PPE is the cause.

If you have any insight, I would greatly appreciate it.
    See my previous post. Your cre has the override script I was talking about, so the behaviour is intended.
  • Oh. That's good then. Thank you for looking into that for me. I appreciate it.

However, I'm still wondering about the voice overlap. Where it seems to be playing the same voice file twice but at the same time. I do not click on her. Would the SCS be causing that problem?
  • I still don't know the exact problem but it is definitely tied to SCS. When the difficulty is set to easy, like you pointed out, she walks up to me and the audio is normal. When I set the difficulty to insane, she doesn't walk up to me and her audio is weird. It must have something to do with how SCS has the game selects her. I don't suppose their really is a fix for it then. Just a minor bug with SCS.

• DLA1992 said:
    Oh. That's good then. Thank you for looking into that for me. I appreciate it.

However, I'm still wondering about the voice overlap. Where it seems to be playing the same voice file twice but at the same time. I do not click on her. Would the SCS be causing that problem?
    SCS does not change the sound allocation. The "slit throat" text is used both for INITIAL_MEETING and SELECT_COMMON1. This is the original game configuration.
  • I understand, but still in my installation, the INITIAL_MEETING sound is played twice at any difficulty above basic. I even used Near Infinity to clear the SELECT_COMMON1 because I thought it was playing both at the same time. However, I still got the weird audio issue.

I even charmed her. Clicked on her a few times to confirm that I did remove the sound.

So it has something to do with how SCS plays that INITIAL_MEETING audio for Neira specifically. Must be something to do with the script. I wouldn't have any ideas on how to even read that script. However, I'm going to move forward and hope that only Neira has this weird issue.

Thank you for all of your help. It is greatly appreciated.