DSotSC

Hello!
I've read here and there about many versions of this big mod. I've also read about the nerfing of a quest dragon that previously could be killed quite only with an added NPC and with some arrows of dragon slaying.

Which exactly is the version that the install tool is using? Can I safely add it to my install, or do I have to expect balancing issues and game breaking bugs? 

Can I finish all the mod quests with my vanilla party?

Comments

• edited August 29
    Blash said:
    Hello!
    I've read here and there about many versions of this big mod. I've also read about the nerfing of a quest dragon that previously could be killed quite only with an added NPC and with some arrows of dragon slaying.

Which exactly is the version that the install tool is using? Can I safely add it to my install, or do I have to expect balancing issues and game breaking bugs? 

Can I finish all the mod quests with my vanilla party?

There are different versions for EET or for BGEE and the Install Tool uses the one applicable for your game.

I cannot comment on the one for BGEE other than there was an update not too long ago. I never used it since I do not play BGEE out of the trilogy context.

I can tell for sure that the EET version does not require the added NPC, has no balancing issues and is as bug free as any mod can be. It is part of every playthrough I have done on EET and I never had any problem.

DSotSC, NTotSC, Dark Horizons, The Vault, or Stone of Askavar are all BG1 mods that can be safely installed, although some people would vote again the extra assassins from Dark Horizons as they can be quite hard. Same is true for Drizzt Saga. Bone Hill is a quite complex mod and much effort has been taken to maintain it for EET. In case there are still bugs left, you at least get active support for it right here.

With respect to party management, there is the initial quest where the elf priestess asks the protagonist for help. To reveal the first quest map and start DSotSC you need to agree to help her and let her join. Anyway, you may use a trick and agree to her joining dialogue. If your party is full already, just select her again as the one that has to go. This should be enough to get the quest. (This is from reading the code - I never did it myself, I always keep her for the first quest and kick her out then. I never take any of the other mod NPCs along.)

PS - Ignore any review etc that is based on the classic BG1 or BGT version of those mods.
  • Thank you very much, that is right the information I needed. I'm doing an EET install, so we're talking about the same things..

Just a last informatio/spoiler.. about Dark Horizons assassins, will I be able to prepare, or will they come as ambush/waylaid? I need to know, to decide wether or not include it in my install. I don't want to search for troubles :smile:

About Drizzt, as far as I understood, it's a mod that requires your party to be changed quite completely, so I'm not gonna install it.
  • Blash said:
    Thank you very much, that is right the information I needed. I'm doing an EET install, so we're talking about the same things..

Just a last informatio/spoiler.. about Dark Horizons assassins, will I be able to prepare, or will they come as ambush/waylaid? I need to know, to decide wether or not include it in my install. I don't want to search for troubles :smile:

About Drizzt, as far as I understood, it's a mod that requires your party to be changed quite completely, so I'm not gonna install it.
    Dark Horizons assassins can be avoided/prepared for if you know where they are, e.g. southern end of the road in the area south of Beregost.
    The nasty ones are on the third level of Nashkel mines and you can hardly avoid them. If you know where they are you can use tactics to kill them but if you run into them unprepared you most likely die at least once - this is why so many people do not like that mod...

Drizzt without a tweak requires his friends to join as you progress through the quest and they will replace your party members one by one. The tweak that lets you play the mod with Drizzt alone (so at least one party member must temporarily go) is in the Sandrah mod and requires her to be in the party, which again blocks two party slots but not all. Keep your cake and eat it too...
  • Now that I know the locations, I might decide to install Dark Horizons :smile:

Another little thing that is bothering me.. I did an EET install with mostly green/safe to install mods, and I noticed something weird. No scrolls are dropped from common monsters, and I found not a single invisibility spell scroll. Not even in shops (High Edge and the ones available before Baldur's Gate.. even checked the TotSC one, which oddly enough doesn't sell a single scroll at all!).
    Does anything come to your mind?
  • Green mods = safe to install? That was BWS of old...
    Green means something different in EET, because nobody makes such a very subjective judgement anymore and claims it to be the sole truth. Green means if you click on those mods, default components are selected that are compatible with each other and you need not to decide for each individual component yourself unless you want to change something.

I find a scroll of invisibility on the top level of Ramazith's tower and several others in mod areas. I know there is a mod component where you can select the number/nature of spells, potions etc that enemies drop. I cannot remember which mod it was but you can just check your weidu.log.
  • Thanks. 

While we're at it, what exactly does "more common encounters in vanilla areas" mean? It's in the options under DSotSC in the install tool. Has it anything to do with spawning?
  • Also, Roxanne, would you also list the BG2 mods that you think are stable and "safe" to install?
  • Blash said:
    Thanks. 

While we're at it, what exactly does "more common encounters in vanilla areas" mean? It's in the options under DSotSC in the install tool. Has it anything to do with spawning?
    It adds more "stooges" (mod's own wording) to some areas, e.g. more xvarts in their village or more kobolds to the mines. They are just added to the existing ones to make existing encounters more challenging. It is not to be confused with the spawn option from other mods.
  • Blash said:
    Also, Roxanne, would you also list the BG2 mods that you think are stable and "safe" to install?
    Almost everything in BG2 can be safely installed, the ones doubtable are marked red with a comment. Even those are mostly just bugging themselves if installed. Imoen Romance can affect key dialogues in the game and cause massive trouble. There is rumour of enhancement of that mod but there is still a lot of work to do.

Of the big mods, Shadows over Soubar is probably bugged. I repair some things while they occur in my own playthrough - but I am not the mod's maintainer and I just fix the things I randomly stumble across.

Most other big mods are playable. They all have the advantage that you can join or leave them any time and you can select quests you want or you can ignore them.

Other than that, it is a matter of taste and playing style as to what you select or not select.
  • Sorry to bother you, but with SHS down it's hard to gather some information.. 
    Would you also suggest all Colours of Infinity mods for install? Are they properly mantained as far as you know?
  • Blash said:
    Sorry to bother you, but with SHS down it's hard to gather some information.. 
    Would you also suggest all Colours of Infinity mods for install? Are they properly mantained as far as you know?
    The modder is active still, so there should be help if such is needed. As far as I know those are pretty stable and well tested mods that should not cause any trouble.
  • Hi Roxanne, I appreciate your work on "toning down" and balancing DSotSC for EET, it now feels like a more legitimate addition to game overall. However, I do find myself missing the older, less balanced version sometimes. Is there an option to install an older version on EET?
  • Hi Roxanne, I appreciate your work on "toning down" and balancing DSotSC for EET, it now feels like a more legitimate addition to game overall. However, I do find myself missing the older, less balanced version sometimes. Is there an option to install an older version on EET?
    It is not my work. DSotSC was overhauled by K4thos. Only this version works for EET.
    BGEE uses another version but also a recently fixed one. I never played it so I cannot say how that was re-balanced if at all.
  • Alright, thank you. 
  • Hi,

Has anyone had a problem with Dawn Priest Blane not appearing after speaking to Otho. And thus no character in the Burning Wizard to continue DSotNC? I did not realise at the time as I was not aware that was what was supposed to happen.

Perhaps it is some confusion with the Vault mod? As the demon from that mod does not materialise. I can speak to Blane once for some generic welcome & I am just a dogsbody comment, but then I cannot interact with him. 

Would there be anyway to  force/console him into action or progress things beyond this point?

Thanks for any help...

• To confirm, the following is for EET. If you play BGEE solo, let me know it uses a different and more buggy version of the mod...

First check these globals (with console) while you are in Beregost outside
    C:GetGlobal("OthoMace","GLOBAL") must be 1
    C:GetGlobal("BlaneSpawn","BG3300") if it is 1, the guy should have spawned

If nothing else helps use
    C:CreateCreature("DSBLANE")

And no, I always have the Vault and DSotSC in my games as long as I can remember and there never was any problem with those two mods. They use completely different incarnations of Blane with different dialogue and script files etc. There is no real way those interfere with each other.
  • Thanks so much for that...the Globals were as they should be but somehow I missed him at the time. Create Creature worked just fine and next I'll be heading off on the dragon hunt.

Yeh, strange that the other Blane was bugged also, I found a way to kick start this by creating the Demon & minions as instructed at (http://www.shsforums.net/topic/39044-vault-v7-released/page-5), and his dialogue returned as should afterwards to progress this.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply, and for enabling such a full on modded experience via the tool.
  • edited November 7
    Moses said:
    Yeh, strange that the other Blane was bugged also, I found a way to kick start this by creating the Demon & minions as instructed at (http://www.shsforums.net/topic/39044-vault-v7-released/page-5), and his dialogue returned as should afterwards to progress this.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply, and for enabling such a full on modded experience via the tool.
    The vestibule quest has a chapter trigger, i.e. you must be in chapter 4 or later.
  • Yes I was in Chapter 5, not sure what was wrong, but hopefully corrected now.