I want to make new quests with WeiDU but I don't know how.

Comments

• edited July 13
    Creating dream scenes for the Protagonist

You need to do roughly this
    1) add the trigger to Player1D.bcs to start a cutscene upon resting after chapter change
    2) Make Player1 the cutscene owner - StorePartyLocations() - Move Player1 to the dream area - Trigger 2nd cutscene (the actual one you may already have) - At end of the dream scene trigger 3rd cutscene that has RestorePartyLocations(), cleans up the sequence and triggers party to actually rest. Do not forget to increment globals during the cutscene sequence. You may also use your dream area script to advance the cutscenes if needed.
    3) ? disable or let original dreams happen? If disable, you need to add code to the protagonist bhaalpowers according to dream sequence. You also need to take care about
    Global("Dream","Global") from the original dream sequences.

To be considered - the change of dreams in this way may be the source of incompatibility with a number of mods. There are also already existing mods that restore original dreams (e.g. from pre-EE period) etc.
    Sea Tower is a very old idea - it is doubtful for me whether messing with the BG1 dreams is still the type of modding done in 2019. Is it really necessary for that mod as such?
  • edited July 13
    Notes on the "dream" you posted
    - actually it is just one dream with a number of steps and transitions. It is an interactive dream, in the way that the player makes some decision (a bit like the Hell's trials in BG2)
    - the sequence ends with the protagonist getting the choice of an ability (like vanilla dream) and go back to starting point.

The whole thing could be extracted to work as a dream sequence in addition to one of the vanilla dreams. It needs a bit of adjustment for the trigger at the beginning and an end that leads back to where you went to rest. Pretty easy to do.

Minor issue - there is a gnoll battle in which you may be injured but cannot die. The ending for this case has bugs that either need to be fixed or (better) lead to awakening the dreamer without getting the ability.
  • I have made an experiment to make that dream sequence work as a normal dream and outside of the mod you may want to extract it from.
    To test it you need the "bst" folder and the "setup-bst.exe" from the BST_022 folder in that package you provided. However before you install it on BGEE or EET
    - replace the dialogue file with the one in my attachment
    - put the baf file into the bst folder and add a line to the end of the tp2 "EXTEND_TOP ~Player1D.bcs~ ~bst/bsplayer1d.baf~

Then install the mod.
    You can trigger the dream anywhere with resting your party, provided you are chapter 3 or later. I put that chapter check because the dream requires some weapon and experience on your character. Also, it makes more sense if it comes after you are already accustomed to those Bhaal dreams a bit.

Whatever you do with it is up to you. I regard this only as a proof of feasibility but I am in no way involved in the mod you use as the basis for it. This is your business alone.
  • Hmmn, @Roxanne you bring up a lot of good points. I agree, I would just like to work on extending Baldur's Gate with people. The Seatower of Balduran is old yet it is so close to being able to be polished and shared with people to give an experience worth playing.

I thought to bring this up for I liked the idea of having each dream segment be used for each chapter like the original dreams and have two dreams per dream chapter but the coding always bogged myself down. I like the extra dreams and I wanted to try and make them feel more natural / polish them into a module.

I have focused more on art and items in my personal experience although I think Sea Tower of Balduran has very good content chunks. Pieces of content that could be 'chunked' (divided to lessen work load) and polished bit by bit into interesting features that perhaps could later bit by bit be added together over time (instead of going nuts at once x-P). The dreams were one idea that I really liked that are already working yet were very not polished in how they are started in the W.I.P. module version 0.22.

This is why I wanted to ask you to see if you could solve this 'dream puzzle' with your talent for I think I can make the area files work, fix some item bloat / plot holes and polish the experience yet there are obstacles that are like boogie monsters that I not have the talent to address; unlike yourself. Finding a way to make the dreams divided into one per chapter along side the regular dreams is something I think you know how to do yet I was unsure so I wanted to ask.

I enjoy working on Baldur's Gate but I am not good at every area of development. I have worked on making an Arms and Armour emporium for Baldur's Gate (on the final stages), added more encounters yet I really want to have Sea Tower of Balduran be properly released. Yet bit by bit and it has to be fun to work on. So I figured with limited work time and people to make small bits work well and slowly climb up the goal like a stair case of small achievable steps to reach success; instead of titanic leaps which lead to burn out. Fun is important I have learned :-P.

Do you have any big projects that are a bit overwhelming that a person like myself could help with? It would seems more fair for myself to also give help rather than just take; like a balance and also I like working with people. Working with people is how games are suppose to be made I feel; like minded people having fun and fulfillment:-). What do you think? I keep working on Baldur's Gate as a hobby month after month a bit here, a bit there being creatively sporadic; but I feel that I should work with people to be more useful.
  • I am not sure you have seen my last post with the attachment before you posted yours?

I think it is not a good idea to cut the BS dream sequence into several dreams. There is a flow in it, I was reminded of the Hell Trials in BG2 or the ghost fighter you play in an episode in Watcher's Keep.

I propose that you try out my proposal and then decide.

PS - there are the regular dreams during BG1 and if you use mods, there are a number of dreams and bedtime talks as well. I would not add another full series of dreams and have the player go in and out of the immersion time and time again.
  • edited July 15
    Okay. I need to go to bed it is 2 something AM but I remembered to check up on this.
     Judging by the time stamps on the comments we just have been typing around the same time and I posted after your comment and did not notice the new comment and went to bed xD.

You are right, keep the dream together, I still need to play your content although I can remember that the dream had segments and it did flow. There was a reward 'puzzle' at the end that I was trying to solve earlier; an old memory where I was working on summon-able enchanted weapon spells and floating runes dialog rewards for extra innate spell for CHARNAME.

I had a thought with a start to get an extra dream sequence in into Baldur's Gate but the ending had (I think) one reward at the end of the dream sequence. This is a contradictory thought to have one ending yet to also newly want a dream segment for each dream chapter; I think you are also right to keep the dream together. My main desire is to polish the dream content for an extra dream content.

Thank you for helping myself, I keep feeling haunted by the understanding that games worth playing are made with a bunch of like minded people and I am alone. Isolated, yet I wonder for how long?

It is strange working so long on a game that out of everyone I know; I alone am the only one who plays Baldur's Gate. There is something strange about that; something not fully understood by myself. Yet I know that that void of critical perspective understanding is there; looming in the distance yet out of focus. As a blurred silhouette of truth, swimming in the shadow just beyond a light's radius within the night. Like a mind venturing into the unknown.

I think of the creature at 2:40.
    Unaware of a larger world I am in yet moving faster (being more productive) when I am hungry (for progress) and investing in a productive area when I am progressing. Much like moths flying towards light looking for the moon. Yet I feel like something is missing, like I am always after something I not aware where it is yet I work towards the goal. Unable to see where I am going yet moving faster to blunt force a solution and progress. Eh rambling, ZzzzZZZzzz *wall of text* I should go to bed; good night. Why do you enjoy making this kind of content? I do not know why I enjoy making video game content; curious.

• edited July 16
    I have been thinking and playing your content.

The dream flow, it seems off. The original dreams end with the voice approving or disapproving based on the character's reputation. These old dreams are what was before the cut scene dreams. It may be fine to have them end bit by bit as do the launch dreams. There is a pattern, mystery a small event followed and ending in the voice commenting on CHARNAME's decision within the dream to follow or part from an evil path. There are equal amounts of dream segments as there are in the launch dreams. Also each launch dream ends in an ability based on the CHARNAME's actions (that are predetermined based on CHARNAME's reputation).

I know it is extra work although what would it look like if each dream area was its own experience and was tied to a chapter to mirror the launch dreams?

• I have been thinking and playing your content.

The dream flow, it seems off. The original dreams end with the voice approving or disapproving based on the character's reputation. These old dreams are what was before the cut scene dreams. It may be fine to have them end bit by bit as do the launch dreams. There is a pattern, mystery a small event followed and ending in the voice commenting on CHARNAME's decision within the dream to follow or part from an evil path. There are equal amounts of dream segments as there are in the launch dreams. Also each launch dream ends in an ability based on the CHARNAME's actions (that are predetermined based on CHARNAME's reputation).

I know it is extra work although what would it look like if each dream area was its own experience and was tied to a chapter to mirror the launch dreams?
    Your memory may betray you here. The dream works like this, I changed nothing about it, just a way into it and a way out of it again. Everything from the first talk to Gorion until you leave is the original. You do not leave until you have done all episodes.
    Also, there is no difference for whatever decisions you have taken. You get the rewards offered or you just get some xp if the gnolls kill you. Choosing good or evil is for your roleplay.
    If you want a series of dreams and a different reward for each etc then you probably need to draft and code your own material, the concept of that source material is different. The voice comments on each step and moves you to the next. The impact is on your conscience but not judged by the dream.
  • The spells at the end seem, off as well. The scale of power is not tuned right, as are a lot of things are in Sea Tower of Balduran's W.I.P. It would make sense to ramp up the spells power, two spells (depending on good or bad) as I think each dream segment was intended to end in; as do the launch dreams.

The Claw, Talon, Skull etc are like that dagger of bone in the launch dreams; a representation of Bhaal the Lord of Murder. To give up or to embrace the choice on each dream would reward either the evil related innate spell or the good related spell. The whole character arc of CHARNAME is deciding to embrace Bhaal or to walk their own path away from evil actions.

These dream segments are microcosms of this. Short decision based game choices that matter. This is why I wanted to pursue the segmented dreams for I think the creators of Sea Tower of Balduran did not understand that these dreams they restored were the alpha version of the launch dreams and were original structured in the same way chapter by chapter before they were simplified and reworked to become the launch versions we know today.

My mind is the source of these thoughts and I am not mentally healthy; and thus I know that I am not 100% and it shows from my 180 turn from before for I am a bit lost to be honest. It feel as if I have too many challenges to face in life all at once and this is a creative distraction although I enjoy it. This is what I want to do in my life yet more my own worlds; eventually :-P.

I desire to become a video game creator of games worth playing but I keep getting bogged down and mired in problem solving in life and I see what I should be doing yet my life is on hold all the time. This is kind of a way to cut through the fog and rise my head above the clouds to see the sun for a brief moment but it bothers myself to keep being so weak.

I know I can make games and lead people yet I am always stuck solving issues in my family. Right now I am rebuilding two houses and making a new one from scratch (no I am not a profession construction contractor x-P) and my family is older than myself yet they are just so unable to really fight back the poverty. So much so I feel as if a lot of the challenge is left on my shoulders. It feels as if I must tow an iceberg into a desert to free myself; my good nature in a weird way cursing my own progress for people who predominately serve themselves.

I know this is not related to Baldur's Gate but it is showing my state of mind where I am in life and it feels like mental fire is all around myself and I should not involve others into this stressful inferno but it is eating away at myself and thus my state of mind to design, work, think, progress. What is the point of talking to people if it is only what we want to hear? Either way this is not professional to tell my personal life so directly and that bothers myself as well. Yet it is important to express for my life is a balancing act right now and being 'fake' is too complex to muster a mask to speak through.

I think at this point I am more externalizing my compressed thoughts and feelings and it is more writing for my own audience of one. Admittedly it is strange but it feels good to let this out in such an obscure place. Like I said no one I know even plays Baldur's Gate let alone mod it; so it is like the perfect stranger effect I suppose. Yet still I do not want to be here. I need to be stronger as a person and right my family from weakness to success. The fact that this exists is written from a weakened state of myself and a place that I do not want to be in. Also from this I do not want to share this because it paints weakness upon myself for if I was healthy I could be strong enough to be in a position of strength and achieve and not a position of weakness and complain. I want to stop losing at life and get rid of these thousand cuts holding myself and my family back; mostly self inflected wounds that I am innocent of yet all the same I am the healer to.

I noticed that you got in trouble over at the Beamdoge forums @Roxanne (for something that I may or may not *relate* to) and I notice that you are here in many areas talking to many people, or attempting to. I notice that I am here currently digitally incarnated as a pouty patron crying my woes to a keeper and this troubles myself by act of self reflection.

In general people don't like problems, we like complete things or things are work fine. These things that work fine and are fun experiences this is what I am trying to give to others. They too are what I want as well for I am not really in a good spot to do this admittedly.

This whole process of development seems off, like I am missing a point here. Like I am sacrificing and not doing this whole thing making game right, I am alone for one, isolated without a team and a source of power to support a team. I have too many issues to grind out properly enough to make my own games yet I should. It is like I need to break out of poverty to get into position of stability to create a position of power, to then finally make games on my own. Ultimately to then expand that cycle of creative power and influence with creating monetized games from that to fund and invest into the cycle of making new games that are worth playing properly.

I love working on Baldur's Gate but it just does not make sense. It feels like logical insanity like a catch 22. I am making a game yet I am also not making a game at the same time. If you read this thank you it may not be very relatable although it has been real O.o. So much negativity right now, I need more joy, less problems and more progress; everyone does though eh? xD
  • edited July 16
    My memory tends to do that, yet I forgot to be more clear this time and differentiate the old content from what I was thinking of adding; I was confusing. Yes the original dream sequence in the Sea Tower of Balduran is one big long sequence yet it just feels like it should be in smaller pieces. This really feels like a complaint to be hedged at a developer table yet this is what I am lacking; a group of people and even then a new developer team would most likely be aimed at another project to benefit the team (a new game).

The modding of Baldur's Gate seems to lack a population critical for larger projects that used to release such as the Dark Side of Sword Coast in scale. I think this is because people mod other games like Skyrim or the Witcher 3 and not some more niche RPG like Baldur's Gate. I am not old compared to most people here that I have worked with; 23. So this point stands out to myself for most people of my generation are not modding here but in other more modern RPGs. I am an abnormality it seems for I started playing Baldur's Gate when I was 9; the Enhanced Editions brought a few new modders but not a critical amount :-S.

I wish that I could do many things yet this lack of developers and what I want to do is a clash that I think I have to solve by making my own games and coming back to this with proper resources and talent to make more content for what was once 'AAA' game. Yet that is journey I do not think most people take so I have a lot of thresholds to overcome to do so. I cannot be weak to do so. No one is having a lot of kids in the western world these days and it bugs myself a bit that if I am to make games worth playing in the future there may be less people to play them then when I was really playing games when I was young.
  • I took a look at the original unused dialogues in the game that were used to create the dream in BS. There is no evidence as to whether this was meant to be one dream or a series of dream.
    However, since there is only one opening introduction from Gorion, it seems to be one dream that was intended.

The full original - especially the voice.dlg - is far too spoiler-ish to appear anywhere early in the game and it makes no real sense at a later point either. I see there was a good reason why it was left out of the game.

Given that material, I must say that the maker of that dream sequence did a pretty good job. With either the BS context or my alternative dream/rest trigger it could be part of a mod. Having the dream in Chapter 3 or 4 makes sense to me.

The other content of the seatower mod was already used in NTotSC for the Northern Citadel quest, so it makes little sense to have it in a second mod.

All in all the sea tower is a stage still waiting for a play to arrive.

- Instead of getting the Balduran sea charts from the charter house you get the badge to enter the tower and search/find the charts here
    - you detect the source of the doppelgangers that Sarevok uses and find out some secrets about Winski who uses the old dungeons of the sea tower.
    - were the mind flayers at work here, just like in Durlag's tower or the Cyric temple in SoD?
  • edited July 17
    @Roxanne I agree, the dream is handled very well. Hmmn, you know I was troubled by an issue with having the dreams bit split up, it would double the amount of innate spells given. Also given that the dream sequence already is in one flowing state and just by virtue of practicality / respect to the original content creators I think the winning argument of the day is your idea.

Just because I want something does not mean it makes sense right now. I have to be practical and work with the scale of operation I have and work with people not against them. It is better to add ideas together anyway; it is more fun :-).

Also having double the amount of innate abilities seems kinda wack and what Gorion says about the dream being semi-real and having real items complicates issues. It would be better to just be simple and practical and keep it the way it is; yet keep it they way you activated 'the super dream'. Have one big 'super dream' with perhaps some tweaks to how the spells are rewarded in the dream; just balance out the power a bit more. Perhaps as well more compelling rewards based upon the player's choices during the 'super dream' (for as it currently is the player gets I think all the spells regardless of being evil or Am I remembering wrong)?

Perhaps have like 1-3 spells awarded from a pool of spells offered selected from a 'weighted' spell option pool in the end dialog. Maybe a pool of spells determined upon the choices made by the player during the dream?

As in dream choices such as Evil Evil Evil Good Good Evil would be offer a pool of spells with more 'evil' tones with some neutral and good spells thrown into the end spell dialog pool etc. Just to give meaning to the player's choices and provide a grey area.

Also some spell options would require more evil / good choices in total. Something like the most evil themed spell would not be in the same pool as the most good themed spell if the player went with a middle-of-the-road approach. This is to not cuck the purist choices of evil or good by giving access to all of the spells by middle-of-the-road player choices; exclusives, pick and choose!

"All in all the sea tower is a stage still waiting for a play to arrive.

*snip*"

I think these are suggestions for improvements to be made? If so:
    "- Instead of getting the Balduran sea charts from the charter house you get the badge to enter the tower and search/find the charts here." That is brilliant and I could not agree more now that I think about it; the themes are perfect and I like how it makes players explore the Sea Tower of Balduran as if it was not cut from the game and a part of the original content arc / quest lines. Very smart idea.

"- you detect the source of the doppelgangers that Sarevok uses and find out some secrets about Winski who uses the old dungeons of the sea tower."
    I always was a bit puzzled by where they got those doppelgangers and why they worked so well for the iron throne and also if they worked so well why didn't everyone else with money and evil intent (which is a lot of groups in Fearun) also use doppelgangers day to day as like 'mercenary' spys for hire? This may be a bit bigger of bite to chew off than the scale of the quest but I always was a bit puzzled by this plot-hole of Iron Throne easily uses doppelgangers yet no one else in the city with rich evil people used them. There must have been a high price or sacrifice paid for the doppelgangers' services; also who leads / runs this branch / sect of doppelgangers? I know there are some in Durlag's tower but those seem very old and far separated and removed from these recent events involving doppelgangers loyal to the Iron Throne. It just seems that the Black Isle developers threw in doppelgangers to fight and glossed over the political intricacies and ramifications of wide spread use of doppelgangers by only *one* group in the City of Baldur's Gate. A Doppelganger Monopoly xD!
    -
    TL;DR - Possible Detective Quest involving Doppelganger cooperation with the Iron Throne background and motives explored? Maybe the Sahuagin dungeon finished / restored under the tower and something something Captain Balduran tied to the cave?
    Also yes to Mind Flayers! *Install reasons later xD* Also Beholders Too!
    Something something Aquatic Dungeon Spooky Sahuagin. BRINE!?! Meta BG III easter-egg homage? Maybe also something something (black) Dragon cave (because black dragons live in underwater accessible caves ~swamps and are one of the lowest on the dragon flight power scale)?
    Cuv's unfinished Sahuagin dungeon / cave under the 'traitor's tower' / tanner winch tower. Also the temple ruins were not worked on / finished so extension possibilities (yay:-D!). The older version (bottom image) can be edited to become a new area for an encounter and not mirror so closely the newer or detailed version (top image). Possibilities for expansion :-D!

Also I made this extended Tomb of the Restless Dead encounter that is located inside the wall Crypt (old version everything works now, I made a new unique bastard sword +2)

The Tomb of the Restless Dead could use an easier way to break into the crypt besides the quest for player choice etc. Maybe a knock spell / really high pick lock / pick pocket the guard for the key; extra details. Also I revamped the stores in one build of mine that predated / motivated myself to start the Baldur's Gate Arms and Armour Emporium (I gave the stores suitable / realistic stock for day-today trades people not equipment of master crafters.

Also did you mention Mind Flayer's in Durlag's tower and Umbler Hulks? Also Drow but maybe for another cave: https://www.deviantart.com/withinamnesia/gallery/58263651/Cave-Complex-01

• edited July 17
    Before you get carried away. The Sea Tower mod is in the hands of some team. Are you part of it?
    Otherwise, it makes little sense to propose these things here because I am not involved with that mod at all.

Another thing would be to create a new Sea Tower mod (because that other one might just be deprecated judging by what progress has been made within a decade of stuck development). After all Balduran's Sea tower is common lore and everyone can create such a mod - just they cannot reuse stuff made by other people.

PS - The NTotSC has the Northern Citadel quest which is using hidden dialogues not used in the original game and some NPCs that did not make it (Pique, the one who was skipped to enable Imoen, among them). The Santos plot in Sea Tower is redundant to that NTotSC part.
  • *Snip - ran out of characters above - Snip*:-P

"The other content of the seatower mod was already used in NTotSC for the Northern Citadel quest, so it makes little sense to have it in a second mod."
    -Which content bits?

Also that weird book trip with the weird maze and island and stuff just seems off (I like the big tree / forest map bits on the sword coast part though). I kinda didn't like this chunk of the content (is this the part do in NTotSC?) and I would not miss it if it was gone personally. What are your thoughts on this?
  • edited July 18
    Ah I am a part of the team who works on the Sea Tower of Balduran but I am a late addition (2017) and the old guard has retired. If I cannot polish this content it may very well never get released :-(; this troubles myself. I would not worry about disrespecting people too much for they worked hard and the team was looking for new blood and the project is just not there yet after a decade. I think this would make many people happy:-).

Perhaps with effort and polish if there are criticisms (minor I would imagine for we are being respectful to the original old guard's wishes) they could review interest from the old guard:-D; or it could be silence:-S. I would prefer to work with people. It is sad to be abandoned. Earlier I tried to contact the Grey Clan In Candlelight guy (2+ years ago) but he stopped working on the game years ago. Also in patch 0.22 some errors were fixed that I pointed out before the old guard retired so I do have content in the latest version. Also Version 1.3.5. content has consent; those store files are one of my first additions. I also have consent to work on Dark Side of the Sword Coast via swit but that is another story.

My struggle in 2017 was updating the WeiDU installer (lack of experience) to add in the Tomb of the Restless dead. The 1.3.5. content has the consent of the team yet I lacked the skills to add the encounter before the old guard retired. I put the project on ice since 2017 (before starting the Baldur's Gate Arms and Armour Emporium to succeed the Sea Tower of Balduran master crafters that I patched out earlier). Then I brought the project up to you :-D. In hindsight I should have said something about my place on the team earlier :-P. Perhaps this Version 1.3.5. encounter can be added into the installer? I gave you @Roxanne Version 1.3.5 of the Tomb of the Restless Dead Encounter in the bst022 zip file (somewhere here). Here is another file copy to be extra sure. Ah here it is, dated November 29th 2017; this is the one that just missed the 022 installer before the old guard retired. Somethings are outdated and could be improved like the OS prefix was before I registered my OL prefix and the Bastard Sword +2 is an older version of my now upgraded Bastyard Sword +2 "The Chromatic Sword' xD. Anyway here I am in the hidden Baldur's Sea Tower section of Spellhold Studios Forum:-P.

• I was afraid you would say that with respect to the Sea Tower mod.

So maybe some day someone else will pick up that idea and create a mod around it...

Meanwhile I dug out the original files about that dream sequence from the game and maybe I can do a small mod about that episode based on the discussions we had.
    It would now be a dream that comes after you got Gorion's letter at Candlekeep. The outcome will depend on which choices you actually made in the challenges. Because it is after the letter, it can be more spoilerish now and thus closer to the original text.
  • edited July 18
    I did my homework and uploaded the initial version of the

(Click on the green button to download as zip)

It works for BGEE or EET.
  • edited July 19
    @Roxanne Quick update: The team is still alive but with no time, the shared intention is fine to use a separate package, there is an interest to make the dialog different from the NTotSC anyway. We do not necessarily need to stick to other people's work if we want to be free. We can make our own separate package and it is fine to share that package; for bits may be shared across other versions. A collaboration of sorts and creative freedom:-D! Now I have to try out your dream :-D.
  • edited July 19
    Notes:

Having the 'super dream' start after touching Gorion's 'will' scroll makes sense. Also those gnolls are serious business and also the Candlekeep library part makes no sense being seen at chapter 3, theses should be flashbacks from the player's eyes. I like how there are less gnoll chieftains, (there should be one gnoll chieftain, 2 gnoll lieutenants and three gnoll veterans). I like how three of the gnolls die in the earlier version but I did not like how they dropped items. I like how the npcs don't drop a bunch of items, only when they have to. The bandits at the beginning should not attack the player and only the wounded warrior and the arrows should deal no damage to the wounded warrior to give more of a dream vibe; surreal experience. Three spells should be rewarded based on the actions of the player.

Bandits - Talon
    Library - Horn
    Level ~3 Selfless Spell Pool - If both good outcomes
    Level ~3 Influx Spell Pool - If one evil and one good outcomes
    Level ~3 Selfish Spell Pool - If both evil outcomes

Sorcerer - Candle
    Ogre - Dagger
    Level ~5 Selfless Spell Pool - If both good outcomes
    Level ~5 Influx Spell Pool - If one evil and one good outcomes
    Level ~5 Selfish Spell Pool - If both evil outcomes

Gnolls - Potion
    Bailey - Skull
    Level ~7 Selfless Spell Pool - If both good outcomes
    Level ~7 Influx Spell Pool - If one evil and one good outcomes
    Level ~7 Selfish Spell Pool - If both evil outcomes

Historical precedent spell pool options and their spell powerization:

Level 1 Charm Person
    Level 2 Invisibility
    Level 3 Protection From Normal Missiles (Githyanki innate ability but with acid immunity)
    Level 4 Enchanted Weapon (Create Morningstar source)
    Level 4 Improved Invisibility
    Level 4 Cloak Of Fear
    Level 4 Cure Serious Wounds
    Level 7 Shield Of Archons
    Level 7 Power Word, Stun (Githyanki innate ability but 30 seconds long and works on 90+ hit points)

Lore and Theorycraft:
    Bhaal is Kazgoroth https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Bhaal and https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Kazgaroth is from the Moonshae Isles. It can be surmised that Thalantyr was with the group that defeated one incarnation of Kazgoroth on the Moonshae Isles before taking upon shop in Beregost.

It would make sense that the recycled Bhaal artifacts would be reused within The High Hedge content; for they exist there to this day and look to be dumped into the store with a quick throw away line of how they got there. One should delve into The High Hedge content dump for the Bhaal 'super dream' for the claw, horn, skull are found in that experience and possibly the dagger of bone and potion of blood and tears and the magic candle with the wish spell. In wonder if the the Murky Antidote is the recycled Potion of Blood and Tears? I wonder if the 'Longtooth' Dagger (Dagg04) is the recycled Dagger of Bone? Slythe's voice is recycled from Ajax (another restoration project of mine) much like Imoen is recycled from Pique's voice. Also Xan with chain mail and the electrical bastard sword for Ajantis and the White magical bow are also a restoration project anyway.

Deathstalkers (Priest of Bhaal) Ability portfolio:

Should follow the Deathstalker spheres for the spells made into innate spells for Charname. Attraction (Level 2), Decay (Level 3) and Wound (Level 5) inspired spells are a must. All spells could be priest spells although for spice of life for non-caster builds and priests and historical precedent of wizard spells also included in the Bhaalspawn innate abilities wizard and priest spells should be in the pool. Bhaal's Avatar was a Thief, Fighter that was big on summoned bone daggers that could be thrown and could do extra spell effects like shrivel on hit, stealth, flying, blade barrier (from bone daggers) and also animate dead on will indefinitely; be had super crazy strong punches so a touch spell would be in order. It would make sense to keep in mind these aspects of Bhaal's abilities for inspiration.

With those points in mind the spell pools should be roughly determined:

Attraction (Level 2),
    Decay (Level 3)
    Wound (Level 5)
    summoned bone daggers that could be thrown
    shrivel on hit,
    stealth,
    flying,
    blade barrier (from bone daggers)
    animate dead on will indefinitely;
    super crazy strong punches; touch spell
    Urge to slay
    reverse attraction
    turn undead
    Level 1 Charm Person
    Level 2 Invisibility
    Level 3 Protection From Normal Missiles (Githyanki innate ability but with acid immunity)
    Level 4 Enchanted Weapon (Create Morningstar source)
    Level 4 Improved Invisibility
    Level 4 Cloak Of Fear
    Level 4 Cure Serious Wounds
    Level 7 Shield Of Archons
    Level 7 Power Word, Stun (Githyanki innate ability but 30 seconds long and works on 90+ hit points).
  • edited July 19
    Hmmn.

Level 3 Cleric:
    Cure Medium Wounds
    Animated Dead
    ???

Level 5 Cleric:
    Raise Dead
    something something

Level 7 Cleric:
    ECH!

You know what? The story arc of charname is what they choose verse what Bhaal wants so it could just be a bit crazy but what if the player could pick 3 different of any level 1-7 priest or wizard spells within the spheres of Bhaal? Why did we get to choose? There are so many options and the whole point of the dream is to pick your spells so maybe it can be like limited 'god sorcerer' moment where pick 3 spells based on good or bad choices.

Simplify it into:

Most Good Pool - All  'help' spell with powerful exclusives

Good Neutral Pool - Mostly powerful 'help' with some weaker 'take' spells

Neutral Pool - Even powerful 'help' and powerful 'take' spells

Evil Neutral Pool - Mostly powerful 'take' with some weaker 'help' spells

Most Evil Pool- All 'take' spells with powerful exclusives

How could this boil down into globals?

A chain of dialog quest that furthers as the player does more good choices say like every part of the dream as a good option that results in a global that stacks say: if good 1, then good 2, if good 2 then good 3 etc with a tally at the end?

Example:
    If good 6 then 'Most Good Pool'.
    If good 4 then 'Good Neutral Pool'.
    If good 3 then 'Neutral Pool'
    If good 1 then 'Evil Neutral Pool'
    If good 0 then 'Most Evil Pool'

Then the 'Spell Pools' are just dialog options that trigger like a quest reward / completion based on the globals toggled at the end and seeing that the player only enters the 'super dream' once it will work.

I need to do some spell sphere research. In the mean time how can one keep stacking globals from different optional dialogs?

Something with kind of global toggle logic (bad with coding)
    Bandits -Talon: If help then good 1

Library - Horn: If help then good 1, if help and good 1 then good 2

Sorcerer - Candle: If help then good 1, if help and good 1 then good 2, if help and good 2 then good 3

Ogre - Dagger: If help then good 1, if help and good 1 then good 2, if help and good 2 then good 3, if help and good 3 then good 4

Gnolls - Potion: If help then good 1, if help and good 1 then good 2, if help and good 2 then good 3, if help and good 3 then good 4, if help and good 4 then good 5

Bailey - Skull: If help then good 1, if help and good 1 then good 2, if help and good 2 then good 3, if help and good 3 then good 4, if help and good 4 then good 5, if help and good 5 then good 6

Would this work in theory? It is just a guess on how to think with coding; I am not good at this. I can make all the spells innate so it doesn't suck to work on, I just need the infrastructure X-P.
  • edited July 20
    You know I have been thinking. How to make this more simple yet give the same  experience?

So Good, Neutral, Evil options and distinct paths with combination possibility seem to be a liked theme. With depth of 3 powered tiered choices to give a wide combination potential of meaningful character choice.

Complex coding is not fun.

So simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

What is something that I could even code? I think it is with global toggles.

There are 6 toggles either good or evil.

There are combinations of these events that feel good, neutral or evil.

The game story arc for the player is about following evil, or following their own neutral or good course. This dream is a plot building aspect that highlights this.

Hmmn, this is boiling down to resources and time and skill verse complexity of design problem. In order to fulfill a design I must be able to manufacture the design. I must learn. Although I need help in learning. I need to start answering my questions.
  • edited July 20
    Hmmmn knowing myself I can brute force a coding solution but it will be messy, I foresee a work bottleneck that must be done and I can do well and smoothly: Create the innate spell options.

I can create the Innate spells for the spell pools accessed by the dialog tree code.

I can still use the rough format of (might be changed to dream evil if easier or something)

If good 6 then 'Most Good Pool'.
    If good 4 then 'Good Neutral Pool'.
    If good 3 then 'Neutral Pool'
    If good 1 then 'Evil Neutral Pool'
    If good 0 then 'Most Evil Pool'

Although within each pool there would be three tiers of spells.

Evil Neutral Pool Dialog Tree Example:

From your restless dreams there comes a tantalizing glimpse of the power within you. Your choices have proven self serving yet not entirely without selflessness. Make your choice now, child, that it may help you on your way.
    Level 1 wizard spell
    Level 1 priest spell
    Level 2 wizard spell
    Level 2 priest spell
    Level 3 wizard spell
    Level 3 priest spell

Vivid images of flashing runes, glyphs and symbols dance about your mind's eye as if palpable and yours for the taking. The glittering lights twinkles as if stars beckoning great power to those whom seek them out. Perhaps with a grasp one can capture these ethereal stars from the mind's canvas of sky.
    Level 4 wizard spell
    Level 4 priest spell
    Level 5 wizard spell
    Level 5 priest spell

A roar from the depths of your very being screams out in agony as if being rent asunder limb from limb; imploding into a deluge of energy upon the planes. A burning pain swells inside your core until an inferno of thought penetrates your focus. A specter pain burgeoning behind your eyes until blasting into view the sight of blurred faces focusing and fading in and out from sight. Their shifting faces blazoned in juxtaposition upon an impenetrable and nigh-endless dark void within one's mind. A collection of grimacing and soothing faces wash upon your ethereal gaze as they look deep into your very being. Their vocalizations silent and mute yet all the while animated and alive. Some of the ghostly vestiges are screaming in agony, others joy or fear yet some are clam and smoothing; as if whispering delights and hope into your ears. None can be heard but yet all want your undivided attention; as if yearning for your invitation.
    Level 6 wizard spell
    Level 6 priest spell
    Level 7 wizard spell
    Level 7 priest spell

As you gaze deep into the spectral face as if to inquire into its mysteries so beckoned upon you, there is startling flash and you are abruptly interrupted with your perspective capsized. Your mind is invaded as if held captive by an overpowering force that strikes straight through your body; as if washing over your entire existence. There is an incredulous strike of energy upon you that rips straight through your very soul without even the slightest of resistance; swirling your reality and spinning your mind so much as a top. The deluge of power surging through your core as if for an eternity; tumultuously coursing through you with both chaos and determination. As you lay motionless waiting for your fate and without objection to the force of immense presence rushing through your prone body; you feel more like an insect being skewered upon a wall than a body recoiling after being struck limp and winded. When your consciousness is if it is fading from this supernatural plane of existence you hear a rising cry from within the din; ringing throughout your ears an echoing voice booming 'Blood of murder!'

You awake and spring to your feet, eyes peeled wide and dart about the room, the sound of your heart audibly thrumming as a drum in your ears, your chest convulsing with heavy breath, cold sweat washes a chill down your spine. Your body aches and angrily fights against your breath with your muscles twisted wracked upon your entire body. Your fists are clenched tight with knuckles white. Your hands audibly creak within your grasp deadlocked.

Charname has learned Level 2 wizard spell
    Charname has learned Level 4 priest spell
    Charname has learned Level 7 priest spell

• edited July 20
    I have done the good/evil counter already. For every item you have at the end, you get +1 "Evil points" and for every missing/rejected item you get -1 "Evil points". In the end you have a global from -6 to 6 and can evaluate it. Undecided is around 0 and 1.
    I use it for the final Gorion dialogue that has a different line depending on how his ward has made the decisions. However, it does not impact the choices, but it can be used for that as well. Each of the three outcomes (Evil, Undecided, Good) can lead to a different set of choices. It would be a simple extension of what I coded already,

Anyway, what I want to avoid is to bring in another set of spells/abilities etc through a content/quest mod. There are too many already and no incompatibility should be introduced.
    Mind also that the boons you get should be innate abilities that ALL classes can use. The choice of priest or wizard spells of high level for non-spellcasters is not meaningful. And then youn have some restrictions e.g. from druids or thieves that gain their class abilities that fill those slots already...
  • edited July 20
    "Innate abilities that ALL classes can use" 1,000,000% agree, I am willing to convert every Bhaal sphere player spell (the spheres of power / schools Bhaal was inclined to) in the game into an innate version that any class could play. All of the spell rewards intended should always be innate abilities; even from the very beginning of this project the ideas was to only use innate abilities.

I have experience in making innate abilities and spells and effects so I know how to do this. This is not overly complex rather just repetitive given that the conversion of a priest or wizard spell into an innate ability is a simple near infinity tweak. I would enjoy doing this repetitive work converting all of the Bhaal inclined sphere / school priest and wizard spells (from levels 1 through 7) into innate spell versions; especially to give diverse meaningful player power choice for every class, build and play-style.

I may have not been clear about this intention to convert all possible spell reward options into innate abilities; but I would do this if it means more meaningful player choice. I was giving misleading shorthand by posting 'level x priest / wizard spell' as a player reward selection option. I forgot a critical detail to onboard you @Roxanne that I would convert any wizard or priest spell available in the dialog into an innate spell; and not give default wizard / priest spells to (as you pointed it out) potential classes that could not unitized the boon. Plus I am already working on reforging every unique magical item and new ones added (some times several times over) so large scale content work I am no stranger to.

Hmmn, so "Evil points" could be made to make 7 spell pools from your description:

"For every item you have at the end, you get +1 "Evil points" and for every missing/rejected item you get -1 "Evil points". In the end you have a global from -6 to 6 and can evaluate it. Undecided is around 0 and 1."

Ah so I shall evaluate it:

0 items: -1 + -1 + -1 + -1 + -1 + -1 = -6

1 item: 1 + -1 + -1 + -1 + -1 + -1 = -4

2 items:  1 + 1 + -1 + -1 + -1 + -1 = -2

3 items: 1 + 1 + 1 + -1 + -1 + -1 = 0

4 items: 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + -1 + -1 = 2

5 items: 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + -1 = 4

6 items: 1 +1 + 1 + -1 + -1 + -1 = 6

That is 7 unique combinations.

Perhaps your ideas should be taken and have the dialog better reflect your superior evil points system:

If -6 Evil points then 'Most Good Pool' dialog spell choices.
    If -4 Evil points then 'Neutral Good Pool' dialog spell choices.
    If -2 Evil points then 'Minor Good Pool' dialog spell choices.
    If 0 Evil points then 'Undecided Neutral Pool' dialog spell choices.
    If 2 Evil points then 'Minor Evil Pool' dialog spell choices.
    If 4 points then 'Neutral Evil Pool' dialog spell choices.
    If 6 Evil points then 'Most Evil Pool' dialog spell choices.

How would the code look like with 7 'spell pool' dialog outcomes (with each outcome rewarding three chained subsequent dialog spell choice pools from least to greatest spell levels) with just placeholder spells? How can the dialog be tinkered with to work with your better evil points system (without myself doing a bunch of guess work before finally going aha! xD)? I am wondering what the skeleton / frame work of your ideas look like in code?
  • The dialogue issue is trivial. Look into voice.d dialogue file in the mod for
    ==Goriod~From your restless dreams there comes a tantalising glimpse of the power within you. Make your choice now, child, that it may help you on your way.~
    END
    ++ ~Charm Person~ + F1
    ++ ~Cloak of Fear~ + F2
    ++ ~Cure Serious Wounds~ +F3
    ++ ~Invisibility~ + F4
    ++ ~Inflict Pain~ + F5
    ++ ~Inertial Barrier~ +F6
    Now the ++ needs to be replaced by e.g.
    IF~Global("gdDreamEvil","GLOBAL",2)~THEN REPLY~Minor Evil pool #1~+ F1
    and so on for all spells in that pool
    Then another condition and the spells for that pool

In the end you have a list of 40 - 50 conditions, it does not matter. Only 6 are ever displayed to the player for the current outcome.
    Then just paste an copy all the F1...F6...F49 with the new spell indicators.
  • edited July 20
    WithinAmnesia said:
    @Roxanne Is this correct?

It would rather look like this...

- then the player would see the six for his outcome
    - put it the spellnames
    - put in the spells into the Fxx dialogues that are called by each choice
  • edited July 21
    Hmmn @Roxanne how can the dialog tree be deepened to include three tiers of spell pool selections once the alignment spell pool has been figured out?

Flowing like this?

1.) First spell pool is level 1-3 spells (already implemented)
    2.) Select an innate ability level 1-3 and learn it (already implemented)
    3.) Dialog continues from first alignment spell pool but with a new spell pool with level 4-5 spells (Not implemented)
    4.) Select an innate ability level 4-5 and learn it
    5.) Dialog continues from first alignment spell pool but with a new spell pool with level 6-7 spells
    6.) Select an innate ability level 6-7 and learn it
    7.) Then dialog continues into CHAIN
    IF WEIGHT #-2~Global("GDRDream","GLOBAL",0)~ THEN Goriod Entry
    ~Awake, my adopted child. Awake and face the terrible tests ahead of thee.~ (etc.)
    CHAIN
    IF~~THEN Goriod F1
    ~As you touch the symbol there is a startling flash and something rushes through your prone body. With a cry you awake and spring to your feet.~ DO~AddSpecialAbility("SPIN119") RestorePartyLocations()~

//What goes here to do the above dialog flow?
    //A bunch of these?
    =~Bla bla bla 2nd dream ability selection part~
    //with some
    sections like below thrown in?
    +~Level 4 innate ability~//
    +
    ~Level 4 innate ability~//
    +~Level 5 innate ability~//
    +~Level 5 innate ability~//
    //Yet how is CHARNAME to learn the innate ability above from the different selections and continue on below without making a thousand individual combinations? A shared global toggle after each innate ability learned?

IF=~Bla bla bla 3rd innate ability selection part~
    //with some final innate ability selection pool
    +~Level 6 innate ability~
    [maybe some kind of shared global here?]
    +
    ~Level 6 innate ability~
    +~Level 7 innate ability~
    +~Level 7 innate ability~
    //Dialog here for when learning the level 6-7 innate ability here and then exit dialogue
    EXIT
    //Does this work?

//repeat the F1 part but for
    f2 ? CHAIN
    //IF~~THEN Goriod F2
    //~As you touch the symbol there is a startling flash and something rushes //through your prone body. With a cry you awake and spring to your feet.~ //DO~AddSpecialAbility("SPIN119") RestorePartyLocations()~
    //It goes on like above?
    Would this work? It seems very close to being able to create yet I am just a tad bit away xD. AHHHhhhh stttreetttchh.... :-P.

Or maybe like the dialog tree could be broken up into sections within an event, taken inspiration from 'From your restless dreams'?

With having the first innate ability selection dialog tree have a global chain that leads to a new dialog tree for levels 4-5 innate ability selections.

Once the first dialog tree has its innate ability selected and dialog exited the screen goes dark and then fades in and begins the second dialog tree (via use of dialog triggers from use of a global chain and maybe weights).

Then after the second dialog tree has its innate ability selected and the dialog is exited the third and final dialog tree begins.

Once the third and final innate ability is selected and the dialog is exited and the 'super dream' sequence is over with three innate abilities learned when CHARNAME is teleported back to their original location?
  • edited July 21
    Technically that is possible and not very hard to do, just a lot of stupid work.

Anyway, I do not see this appropriate for this simple dream sequence. It is rather a scene to embellish what you have learned from Gorion's letter before. It should focus on the heritage of the protagonist and the decisions that are ahead about what to do with that heritage. In this context even a single boon is already questionable but can be justified with the fact that the other Bhaal dreams do something similar. I would not want to turn the whole thing into a "spell learning machine".

I would recommend to use your idea in another setting. How about this:
     - you meet the man Cadderly when you return to Candlekeep.
     - the meaning of this meeting and his reference to Gorion and your future has always appeared kind of unfinished to me. We know that Cadderly is the priest of Spirit Soaring and another powerful figure in the Realms.
    - There is an option in his dialogue that invites for expansion. Check state 8 of Cadder.dlg Then >>> Player selects response that says "As well as can be expected, though I have learned much about myself that perhaps was better left unknown." Now you can lead this from the weak response there currently is to the opening of your mod with something "Do you find what you learned to be something that disturbs you or something you feel tempted to embrace,,,"(or whatever) and then hang your tree onto that.
    - This scene is much more "real" and it makes sense that what you learn from a wise friend of Gorion is something you can keep (instead of filling a spell book in dreams - that feels artificial to me, really forced).
    - Cadderly is just one option, you may as well chose one of the old teachers at Candlekeep you meet in chapter 6, provided they are no doppelganger.

Mod name "Cadderly's Spells"

• edited July 21
    @Roxanne Elminster... Note: Additional Elminster Encounter: In the original game, a bug prevented an additional encounter with Elminster from occurring. Thanks to SimDing0, however, this should no longer be the case, so expect to meet the famous wizard once more outside of the Friendly Arm Inn. http://mods.pocketplane.net/readmes/BG1UB-Readme.html

Elminster seems like a wise old sage that knows much about the Bhaalspawn. Elminster is allied with the Harpers. Gorion is close friends of Khalid and Jaheria who are Harpers. My memory is blurred and foggy here with any direct ties from Elminster and Gorion and Candlekeep although the thread.. Just seems to untied.

Perhaps Cadderly being the priest of Spirit Soaring can lead to a dream or something; perhaps the first rest after the encounter.

Perhaps the last Elminster encounter in Baldur's Gate can lead to a dream after the first rest after the encounter.

It would make sense for the Gorion 'super dream' take have the most powerful reward given the closeness of Bhaal.

The areas for the dreams... The space Candlekeep from Baldur's gate II would make sense for the Cadderly dream, given the relationship of Cadderly, CHARNAME and Candlekeep.

*Does some research*

Plan:

So keep the Gorion Dream sequnce ~Chapter 6 (with 7 innate ability spell pools).

I have an idea! Well two.

Elminster Dream Sequence: (Begins after first rest after Baldur's Gate encounter with Elminster ~Chapter 5)

Setting: BGII AR0011 (Candlekeep Space Castle)

A cut scene with Gorion, Ulraunt and the 'Voices of Prophecy' / North, East, South, West around the front fountains discussing the fate of CHARNAME.

Gorion tells Ulraunt that he can teach mercy and humility into CHARNAME and that CHARNAME has the opportunity to live a life away from death and destruction. Ulraunt disagrees and says that no matter how much love and care one can give to the child; Gorion cannot overcome what is bread in the bone. Only blood pays for blood.

The voices 'Voices of Prophecy' / North, East, South, West start singing their prophetic sing song bits one by one encircling around CHARNAME (who is in the center of the fountains). After their bits are done they all transform into a monster that represents their 'warning of doom'.

Gorion and Ulraunt fall unconscious to the ground; the monsters descend upon them and kill them. The monsters then talk to the player once by one saying no one can run from death; even those who's whole being is born from murder.

The Player collapses to the ground and the screen fades black. The dream dialogs is a-lit with flashes of symbols and the player is given selection of an innate ability from three innate ability pools based upon their reputation. The innate ability is selected and the dream ends.

Cadderly Dream Sequence: (Begins after a rest in Chapter 7 trying not to chain dreams back to back)

Setting: BGII AR0012 (Candlekeep Interior Dream Level 1), BGII AR0013 (Candlekeep Interior Dream Level 2), BGII AR0014 (Candlekeep Interior Dream Level 3)

After chapter seven begins (left Candlekeep Crypts) the first rest triggers a dream sequence with A cut scene with Cadderly, Gorion, Sarevok and the events loosely mixed with the Ulraunt Gorion dream and the beginning Sarevok Ambush cutscene where Gorion is slain.

BGII AR0012 (Candlekeep Interior Dream Level 1) Perhaps the dream can have surreal vibe: With an opening cutscene where Gorion is arguing to Cadderly about how he can foster the child different from its fate that is bread in the bone. Cadderly says that Ulraunt was right about Gorion meddling with powers beyond his comprehension. Gorion retorts that keeping CHARNAME is safe; Gorion arguing that the walls of Candlekeep are impenetrable and when the child is ready he will tell them their fate. Then Gorion says all in good time my child to CHARNAME and tries to tell CHARNAME their fate but before he can Sarevok walks into view and says that only his fate is inevitable and slays Gorion and Cadderly in the entrance Library foyer. Sarevok taunts CHARNAME to pursue their fate and runs up the stairs.

BGII AR0013 (Candlekeep Interior Dream Level 2) CHARNAME pursues up the stairs but finds no Sarevok (for he has fled upstairs) but instead the player is shouted at by the readers and sages 'tutors' of the Library and call CHARNAME a monster and blame CHARNAME with Gorion's and Cadderly's death. The readers and sages also die at the end of the dialog.

BGII AR0014 (Candlekeep Interior Dream Level 3) The cutscne continues and CHARNAME continues up the stairs to the final floor and has Sarevok confront CHARNAME but then talks about the blood price that must be paid. Sarevok taunts CHARNAME saying that they, as himself hold no dominion of control over their own fate; death is already predetermined. Sarevok turns into a Slayer and 'kills' (knocks unconscious) CHARNAME in the event / cutscene. The slayer then screams and dies with a gib explosion. The screen fades black and the player has a dialog window of a voice saying 'what you kill makes you stronger'. Flashes of pains and energies and runes flash around the player and the Player gets to select from one of three spell pools based upon their reputation. The dream ends and the player awakes in their last spot before the sleep with a new innate spell.