Ammanda's EET playthrough

edited June 16 in Adventure Logs
reciving Mystra's Blessed Hammer ?

If I recall correctly, Elminster was inside FAI and upgraded Sandrah hammer (she starts with Mystra's Hammer which is +2 weapon, and upgraded Mystra's Blessed Hammer was +4 I think, because I had check with Near Infinity), and I was in Chapter 5.

So, what exactly trigger that to happen?

Because now I play new game, again I'm in Chapter 5 (already recived big shield for Sandrah when entered Baldurs Gate first time from Elminster, which is -6AC shield), but I don't know how to get that enhanced hammer now. Of course I can use EEKeeper but I want to play without cheating.

This time difference is I have Imoen in party all time from start, so Sandrah have less expirience, I don't know does it matters.

tnx!

Comments

• I think you mix some things in your memory. The thing that Elminster upgrades at FAI is Gorion's dagger for the protagonist, the dagger you found on dead Gorion at the start of the game.

The upgraded hammer is not available until late in SoA, Elminster appears during some rest at an inn after Bodhi's death.

The shield does not have -6AC, this must be EEKeeper accumulating different -2 types into a sum? I do not use that tool, I always use Near Infinity.
  • edited June 11
    I know about Gorion's dagger. In this game which I play now dagger is already upgraded by Elminster, no problem. But in my previous game which I mention about reciving +4 hammer, there was problem with Gorion's dagger. I don't know, maybe I skipped something but Elminster did not appear to upgrade the dagger, so I set global as it should be and give myself enhanced dagger by EEKeeper, and maybe that is the reason for bug about reciving Mystra's Blessed Hammer by Elminster in FAI (I swear that I remember it exactly like that - he upgraded hammer, inside FAI, and new one was - SANHAMY.ITM - I had check it with Near Infinity immediately because there was no detailed item description so I wanted to see details about new weapon).

Anyway I can conclude now that was a bug, so Sandrah will recive +4 hammer by end of SoA as you say. It will take me very long time to get there because now I'm in BG1 Chaper 5 and I intend to do as many possible quests (and have many mods installed). There will also be enemies immune to +2 weapons (if I remember right, mummies in Mountains of Dead in Drizzt quest was immune to Sandrah +2 hammer).

But shield definitely lower AC by 6. Just like Small shield +5 Divinity. I had check with NI. It have two Effects about AC. One which give -2AC, and another one which give -4AC. So -6AC total. I don't know what EEKeeper have to do with it (I did not use EEKeeper to get shield, Elminster give shield when we enter Baldurs Gate first time).
  • Receiving the shield when you reach BG City is is fine, this is what should happen there.

The mummies normally need slashing weapons, if I remember correctly. Sandrah is relatively harmless against those. You need other party members to solve that. But it is always hard to tell because so many mods may change enemy behaviour/statistics. It is never the same twice in any of my games, but that makes it even more interesting.

PS - it may be possible that the blessed hammer after Bodhi was different in some earlier version of the mod - maybe it was originally based on XP or similar. But XP in EET is not a good trigger because not all players use mods to reduce it, so you can easily get overpowered pretty soon. For some upgrades I later added additional conditions.
  • edited June 11
    But if shield should not act as -6AC, which is proper AC than?

About Sandrah hammers, when I check NI in my install, there is only two items. SANHAMM.ITM, and SANHAMY.ITM.

I played Baldurs Gate, both 1 and 2, and SOD when it was released, and used just some small mods here and there, nothing special. I play EET just for short time now, it is interesting of course, and it is great to have all games combined into one.

I did not even know about Sandrah until I made EET install, and noticed her (and sword gift) at beginning. I downloaded Big World Setup, choose to merge BG2 and BG1 (+SOD) into EET, and choose "BWS Tactical", than manually add and remove some components. Sandrah mods was already included. After that, I find it very interesting character and mod, and now I'm determined to play full story until the end. If there is some better way for install, please let me know, because I'm inexpirienced with mods.

Also in my install, for every NPC I let join, there is "choose a kit" ability, I don't know is that part of Sandrah mod or some other. So I choose Imoen to be thief, than choose Swashbuckler kit for her (in this new game, because playing with my character and Sandrah was indeed overpowered, because there is much more expirience you are able to get, and there is many very powerful items compared to original game, that is one of reasons I let Imoen be part of game, to split XP :D ).

Sandrah also improve all time. Every 3 fighter levels there is +1 to damage and thac0. She already recived ability score blessings, 5 times until now, +3 to constituion and +2 to dexterity. And many abilities. Also her APR improve quickly (I don't mean fighter level7 +0.5APR, or Mastery and Grandmastery bonus).

Probably you are right about mummies, maybe they are immune to crushing attacks and thats why her weapon had no effect on them. Anyway me and Drizzt had taken care of them and vampires.

Sorry if I go offtopic, but if I don't post this now I will forget :P . When we mention that Drizzt mod, I noticed some things. These vampires doesn't do level drain, but "enery drain" which reduced constitution (PERMANENTLY). There is no way to restore it. Greater restoration do nothing. Resting do nothing. That is probably some bug. Negative plane protection do not protect. Death Ward spell also do nothing about that. Way I resolved that is simply not get energy drained. There is gray potions (protection of death ward, or something like that it is called) which block that ability drain.

And that robbed figure, is that Irenicus himself? He have very similar voice and way he speaks.. and there is letter to Bodhi. I don't understand it really. Doesn't make sense to kill him before BG2. Also when you encounter him before final fight (in the room where is letter) he say something like "farewell child of Bhall we shall not meet again", and then he stays and fight (worth 20000xp).
  • Just to clarify - you used BWS (tactical selection) for your current game?

This explains a lot of oddities. BWS is long outdated and no longer maintained.
    One option to install a more balanced but challenging EET game is by the Install Tool that is discussed here on this forum. It was originally based on BWS, so if you used that, it should be easy to switch.

Things like that vampire behaviour was a former bug but it should not occur in the current version anymore.

That robed figure is Irenicus. The Drizzt mod already had this foreshadowing of later events a decade before SoD was developed and "adopted" that idea.
  • Yes, BWS with tactical selection, and than before install begins I used "Choose mods and components", to remove and to add some more details.

This install is not perfect, it have some bugs. Also, I noticed something about Sandrah. Sometimes during game (or maybe when level up, I did not pay attention) her points in Sword and Shield style automaticaly goes up (more than possible 2) and she than lose -4AC vs missile. Have to use EEKeeper everytime to set points to 2.
    Another thing, when I turn party AI off, for me and every other NPC it works ok, they are passive, except Sandrah, she rush to fight all time and use some spells just as AI is turner on.

Should I download from this link? : 
    https://baldursextendedworld.com/Install-Tool/

I have to ask you because I have not seen this before. As I understand this should be better than BWS install. I should be able to choose mods and details just like in BWS case? It will download latest version of mods I choose?
    Any other key differences?

When I used BWS it did not automaticaly downloaded every mod I wanted, some of them I had to search manualy on internet and than force install. Also it reported that not everything installed.

About Drizzt and Irenicus.. ok I understand what you say about Drizzt mod and SOD, but I do not understand why you kill Irenicus at end of Drizzt mod. Do not make sense because he is clearly alive in BG2. Or it is also some bug in my install, maybe he is intended to teleport away and not fight?
  • BWS for EET is not maintained for a year by now. BWS officially ceased to exist about a month ago but was already falling apart long ago.
    If you did your installation in that period you have a lot of mix that may not fit well together. If you even included your own downloads then there is a chance that it may even be the wrong version.
    It took a long while for people to notice BWS was gone and Alien hesitated for a bit too long and kept up the impression it was still working somehow.

The main differences between Install Tool and BWS
    - only EE games are supported
    - no backup facility, because the EE own restore is faster and reliable
    - there are no more recommended/tactical etc pre-selections but free choice
    - you can use other players "compilations" for your installation or use them as a baseline and add/remove your own choices.
    - there is a fast-click feature that you can use on mods with many variations to get a choice where all components work well together.
    - conflict/dependency handling has been much improved

Most important also for your "tactical" aspect is that SCS v32 is used, a complete overhaul of that mod. There are also large updates for other mods (Sandrah included).
  • I did my install maybe month ago or little more. I did not install any mods after BWS install. But during BWS install, some mods which I choose did not download and BWS give me option to manually download them and than force install them (all during installation).

Yes, exactly I was under impression that BWS is all I need, because I rarely ever read forums, and after I found BWS I was so happy about possibility to play all games as one and install all mods together.

Ok I will now give this a try. I'm only worried not to miss some mods I installed with BWS because I found them really good, so I will pay attention when choosing mods and details. Would like to have all content which I now have.

If that mean anything, I bought all EE versions from Beamdog (it is 2.5 now), so I will uninstall everything and than download games again from Beamdog and use this new tool. If you have any more advice, before I make new install, please let me know. And many thanks for help Roxanne ;)
  • edited June 11
    I would recommend that you do not use the beamdog downloads directly but make copies of both clean games that you use to install the mods to.

There will be no mods missing, you may even find more than BWS knew about.

There is a small pdf file in the tool download with the basic instructions. If you used BWS before, you probably know all of it already.
  • Roxanne said:
    I would recommend that you do not use the beamdog downloads directly but make copies of both clean games that you use to install the mods to.

Why?
  • Ammanda said:
    Roxanne said:

Why?
    One issue is full access rights for modding, the other is unexpected background updates that overwrite files.
    There are many other issues that were reported over time for Install Tool as well as BWS that happen when you use for modding the default install directories the games chose to download to. But maybe you know better how your machine and settings handle that, it is just a general advice that has been proven useful countless times.
  • I did not know about that before. No problem, I will follow your advice.

But what exactly I have to do? Install game from Beamdog client to some other directory (default is USER/Beamdog Library), or copy/paste game from Beamdog default install directory to some other directory?

When I install by Beamdog client it install games in USER/Beamdog Library, and SOD+BG1 install is 00806, and BG2 is 7xxxx.
  • Ammanda said:
    I did not know about that before. No problem, I will follow your advice.

But what exactly I have to do? Install game from Beamdog client to some other directory (default is USER/Beamdog Library), or copy/paste game from Beamdog default install directory to some other directory?

When I install by Beamdog client it install games in USER/Beamdog Library, and SOD+BG1 install is 00806, and BG2 is 7xxxx.
    It is that second variation. Just copy paste the games to two other directories. Also, this way you will always have a clean copy of the game that you can use for a new installtion instead of having to download it each time again.
    Use the two new directories when Install Tool asks where your games are.
  • Ok. SOD+BG1 is already downloaded, BG2 is about 80% so I will soon try this Install Tool.
  • Is Pelligram important (can't recall but I read somewhere before that it is important for story) component or not? I mean if I exclude that cat from install, does it change anything important to Sandrah or story?
  • Ammanda said:
    Is Pelligram important (can't recall but I read somewhere before that it is important for story) component or not? I mean if I exclude that cat from install, does it change anything important to Sandrah or story?
    It is essential. No Sandrah component is optional. Components are only used for easier bug fixing because the mod is very large and has many areas to install.
  • edited June 11
    Ammanda said:
    Also in my install, for every NPC I let join, there is "choose a kit" ability, I don't know is that part of Sandrah mod or some other. So I choose Imoen to be thief, than choose Swashbuckler kit for her (in this new game, because playing with my character and Sandrah was indeed overpowered, because there is much more expirience you are able to get, and there is many very powerful items compared to original game, that is one of reasons I let Imoen be part of game, to split XP :D ).
     That's from NPC_EE. At install, it gives you several options to change vanilla NPC base classes. In game, the ability you see, let's you change the kit, if you want.
  • The following originally selected mods could not be installed:

Mod: Jim's Fixes and Tweaks
    Component: 

13359 files exist in your override-folder. Biffing is not required nor recommended for EE games.

The installation is finished.

Thank you for using the "EE Mod Setup"!

• This was very quick install. BWS needed hours to complete. But something is wrong here totally, game behave just like original. No any additional content as I can see from beginning. No additional portraits, no new classes, no portraits for everyone (I selected that component just like with BWS before), no Sandrah, etc.
    Have to figure out what is wrong.
  • Now I'm attempting another install to see how thing do. And this install now takes much more time, so probably very short install time for first try have something to do with problem. If this now works out well, it will not be my final install because this time I quickly choose mods, just to check if all of this is working.
  • Install is over, I can conclued everything seems OK now. First install, for whatever reason, was bugged.

I'll now try my final install, lets hope it goes well.

If we are too much offtopic, be free to close or delete this.
  • When selecting mods for new install, how exactly you save your configuration so you don't have next time to select everything one by one? Install tool have some desctiption but I don't know how to save it.
  • edited June 12
    Ammanda said:
    When selecting mods for new install, how exactly you save your configuration so you don't have next time to select everything one by one? Install tool have some desctiption but I don't know how to save it.
    While you are in the tree/list view with all the mods you select "options" above the list with right click and "export selection to file". Give the file a name of your choice and next time you can use "import from file" to reload. This way you can also create your own compilation.
    (The result is an ini-file, it does not matter where you store and save it, can be anywhere on your computer.)
  • Thank you. I did not even notice that Option above. It will make it much easier now.

Let now try to do proper installation.

For some reasons, some mods which Install Tool already downloaded, it still try to download same (not all, but some of mods, everytime). Now it reporting that it can't download these one (I'm I already downloaded Test Your Mettle (New) and Unfinished Business: The Mod itself, but anyway) :

The following mod(s) could not be downloaded:

Test Your Mettle (New): The Mod itself (master.zip)
       Unfinished Business: The Mod itself (master.zip)
       Iylos: The Mod itself (master.zip)

Some files could not be downloaded with the tool. Do you want the tool to try to load the mods again, provide the files yourself (see remarks) or just continue?
    Enter [r]etry, [p]rovide or [c]ontinue.

Is it OK to manually download these mods and provide them?
  • Ammanda said:
    Thank you. I did not even notice that Option above. It will make it much easier now.

Let now try to do proper installation.

For some reasons, some mods which Install Tool already downloaded, it still try to download same (not all, but some of mods, everytime). Now it reporting that it can't download these one (I'm I already downloaded Test Your Mettle (New) and Unfinished Business: The Mod itself, but anyway) :

The following mod(s) could not be downloaded:

Test Your Mettle (New): The Mod itself (master.zip)
       Unfinished Business: The Mod itself (master.zip)
       Iylos: The Mod itself (master.zip)

Some files could not be downloaded with the tool. Do you want the tool to try to load the mods again, provide the files yourself (see remarks) or just continue?
    Enter [r]etry, [p]rovide or [c]ontinue.

Is it OK to manually download these mods and provide them?
    All three of them are online, so it must have been just a temporary network issue or whatever.

If you download them manually, move them afterwards to the download folder where the other mods already are. Use (p)rovide, then (s)elect in the next step and the file manager will open so that you can point it to the file. Sometimes you get a message about file size, just use (f)orce.

• Ok I have just read that post, now I will try with 11_NET.au3, because now I'm doing a number of installs in a short period as you say in your post, so it makes sense now to try this. I can always delete Install Tool and download a new one in future if needed. Lets see if this helps with these re-downloading.

But I'm unable now to complete install and be sure everything is OK for next reason. Every time during installation (extracting) it say that mod - Skie the cost of one girl soul, and some other random mod. It say that these mods can't be extracted, and ask me to run integrity test, provide (than ask me do download or extract). But there I'm stuck, whatever I do seems as do nothing.

Ok if I have go give up on Skie mod no problem, but what to do with some other mods that (randomly) also can't be extracted?
  • edited June 12
    Ammanda said:
    Ok I have just read that post, now I will try with 11_NET.au3, because now I'm doing a number of installs in a short period as you say in your post, so it makes sense now to try this. I can always delete Install Tool and download a new one in future if needed. Lets see if this helps with these re-downloading.

But I'm unable now to complete install and be sure everything is OK for next reason. Every time during installation (extracting) it say that mod - Skie the cost of one girl soul, and some other random mod. It say that these mods can't be extracted, and ask me to run integrity test, provide (than ask me do download or extract). But there I'm stuck, whatever I do seems as do nothing.

Ok if I have go give up on Skie mod no problem, but what to do with some other mods that (randomly) also can't be extracted?
    Are you on a very poor internet connection?
    So many failing downloads and extraction errors are unusual. Extraction error means that the file download was not complete.

If you are on a poor connection, one workaround is to store all those downloads that you know are "good" in a backup. If the current version has issues, just copy that mod from the backup or manually force the tool to use the one from the backup.
    Also, you can always stop an unnecessary download with the "X" in front of the mod name on the download screen.
  • I do not know how good my connection is compared to other peoples connections, but to me this connection seems OK, I don't expirience any slowdowns, interuptions, when I was downloading from Beamdog it downloaded games around 5MB/s and finish very quickly.

At this moment I'm attempting another new install, but again it re-downloads many mods (I had copy 11_NET.au3 file as you instructed, btw., what that file exactly do?)

Extraction error means that the file download was not complete. Strange because all of these files are downloaded already. And most of them work without problem. Just when I do some new install, one or two (Skie mod always) can't extract.

What comes into my mind. Maybe these re-downloading are not always done properly and file is corrupter. Possible reason for files been unable to extract?
  • I have just checked that Skie mod and it downloads and extracts for me without any issue.
    Files that are downloaded a second time overwrite the existing version in the download folder, This is why I said that you might want to make a backup copy of those mods that you know you already have downloaded successfully.

Maybe it is also worth checking if your anti virus program is hindering you. Mods contain exe-files and others that some over eager security stuff may not like.
  • now I have just Skie

---

The extraction of the following mod(s) failed:
    Skie, the Cost of One Girl's Soul: The Mod itself (Skie - The Cost of One Girls Soul v2.1.zip)

Some files were not extracted. Do you want the tool to run an integrity test on those files first, provide the files yourself (see remarks) or just continue?
    Enter [t]est, [p]rovide or [c]ontinue.

---

Should I give up on Skie and continue now or? Installer mention version 2.1, but version which I manually downloaded is 2.2.

This mod never worked in my install (tried many times today). Is it possible to install this mod after Install Tool or any other way. I had never try to install anything after BWS (before), and I would not try without your advice.