Modding EE games

Hello,
I would like to ask, what is the best modding tool atm? Are there any tutorials? I was thinking about add some spells, items and lets say, boss monsters into each area I visit. I plan this ino big world install to make game little more challenging and exciting. Roxanne could you please guide me a little in this? Thank you a lot. :)

Comments

• edited June 4
    Are you talking about creating your own mod to add spells or monsters?
  • What is "pwn"? You mean own? :) yeah about that.. i remember some software I tried long time ago for original bg1 with summon battle horror tutorial :D so what you recommend me? :)
  • edited June 4
    To spawn existing monsters in existing areas or to add existing spells to existing creatures you mainly need a text editor.

- Context or Notepad++ are the ones I use because they have some plugins for the weidu code and they check for UTF-8 which EE needs for some files.
    - Near Infinity - you need that to look up file names, area names and other references. You can also use it to quickly compile and test some code in the game before you add it to your mod.
    - https://www.weidu.org/~thebigg/README-WeiDU.html bookmark this link somewhere to see how you may want to do certain things, although it is very hard to understand, I propose to look into some mod's code along with it - take a mod that approximately does what you want to do and see how they did it- in many cases the example helps you to understand the weidu readme.
    - https://gibberlings3.github.io/iesdp/ has all the code and how to use it. Again, I find it most helpful when you already have an idea of what you want to do and just need exact details.

This is about all that I use (unless you want to create areas or graphics or sounds/movies where you need more tools.) I do about 90 per cent of all modding just with those bold tools I listed above.

I have never found an up-to-date tutorial from someone who really knows how to do it or can explain it. Tutorials are either crap from people who want to appear knowledgeable or they are outdated. The best source is a mod that does what you want to achieve and that can give you some ideas.

(You may look at topics like this recent one http://www.shsforums.net/topic/60464-help-with-first-mod-ideas/    I think I am too biased, but I cannot imagine this is helpful to anyone new to modding...)
  • Thank you so much :)
    Lets say, I wanna make a mod for EET, this mod contains new spells, items and monsters.. what is good to start? What is the easiest part to start?
  • konva said:
    Thank you so much :)
    Lets say, I wanna make a mod for EET, this mod contains new spells, items and monsters.. what is good to start? What is the easiest part to start?
    To spawn existing monsters in existing areas.
    - You write a little bit of area code about which monsters you want under which conditions
    - You look up the areas you want and the monsters with Near Infinity
    - You write a minimal tp2 file to compile your scripts
    - You test it

• Ok :) but how one couuld create a monster? :) or item/spell? in near infinity?
  • konva said:
    Ok :) but how one couuld create a monster? :) or item/spell? in near infinity?
    Oh, I understood that you just wanted to use some that already existed and add them under some circumstances, e.g. make an additional group of hobgoblins appear on the road at night or something like that.
  • well, I wanna to make some new monsters, for example, in lion's way, I wanna create brand new fighter Alvarno, level 2 fighter who wanna earn money by killing gorion's ward, rewarding player with few XP and few gems for example... I wanna create new monsters "boss" for each location in game, not house :D As for items, Prismatic Crossbow: +1 to Thac0, +1 fire damage, +1 cold damage, +1 electric damage ... as for spells, lets say in IWD Aurill's Bane - Lesser Vitriolic Sphere, or Snilloc Major Missles... or new summons
  • konva said:
    well, I wanna to make some new monsters, for example, in lion's way, I wanna create brand new fighter Alvarno, level 2 fighter who wanna earn money by killing gorion's ward, rewarding player with few XP and few gems for example... I wanna create new monsters "boss" for each location in game, not house :D As for items, Prismatic Crossbow: +1 to Thac0, +1 fire damage, +1 cold damage, +1 electric damage ... as for spells, lets say in IWD Aurill's Bane - Lesser Vitriolic Sphere, or Snilloc Major Missles... or new summons
    Just take someone like Flam2.cre in NI and make a copy of him under your name (not more than 8digits for the name, e.g. Kon_Alv.cre.
    Then edit the new cre to your liking. Make him enemy if you want a direct attack or give him a script and dialogue if you want some interaction prior to attack.
  • ok that could work, simple editing is easy level, creating new summoning spell or item is medium level and creating new creature based on spellcaster is much harder with custom script, right? :)
  • konva said:
    ok that could work, simple editing is easy level, creating new summoning spell or item is medium level and creating new creature based on spellcaster is much harder with custom script, right? :)
    It is all done by one mod or other, so it is easiest to find a matching blueprint and adopt it for your purpose. No offense, but the ideas are not so unique that nobody had them before and has not done similar things already.
  • Roxanne said:
    konva said:
    ok that could work, simple editing is easy level, creating new summoning spell or item is medium level and creating new creature based on spellcaster is much harder with custom script, right? :)
    It is all done by one mod or other, so it is easiest to find a matching blueprint and adopt it for your purpose. No offense, but the ideas are not so unique that nobody had them before and has not done similar things already.
    Not taken :) yeah mine ideas might be simple and not unique, but I cant make my first mod that overhaul whole game :D I have to learn and figure out, if I am able for something bigger than few modifications :)
  • konva said:
    Roxanne said:
    konva said:
    Not taken :) yeah mine ideas might be simple and not unique, but I cant make my first mod that overhaul whole game :D I have to learn and figure out, if I am able for something bigger than few modifications :)
    I was talking from my own experience. I started with fixing bugs in old BGT when I got enervated by running into them time and time again. Then I added small tweaks. Then larger tweaks, then an NPC, then a joinable NPC, etc etc.

All the time I was looking at how others had done this or that. Only after a very long time I found something that nobody seems to have done before. Then I started experimenting and failing, trying it another way and failing, trying it again and succeeding.

My personal opinion is that this is how the unique stuff is created. You can tell at a glance those new NPC mods that were written with a tutorial in hand (you can even tell exactly which one they used). The modders may be creative but they get stuck in a pattern this way.
  • Ahh, I got your point :) im right now creating mine first creature, but...
    I took basic bandit, changed armor, stats, added some minor loot, but.. his attack seems very bad, and I cant manage to get helmet on him :D Mine lvl 1 summons disappears and not taking damage from him :/

• konva said:
    Ahh, I got your point :) im right now creating mine first creature, but...
    I took basic bandit, changed armor, stats, added some minor loot, but.. his attack seems very bad, and I cant manage to get helmet on him :D Mine lvl 1 summons disappears and not taking damage from him :/
    Look at some changes I made. Just a very quick proposal but you may see differences and where they come from, hopefully.
  • Thanks alot, his is good example, I learned there a little, but I dont have that script in mine version: AttackPC.BCS ? How can I create some basic attack script?
  • konva said:
    Thanks alot, his is good example, I learned there a little, but I dont have that script in mine version: AttackPC.BCS ? How can I create some basic attack script?
    Sorry, it is a vanilla script, however in BG2EE. I attached it.

Open it in NI and you see the code. When you click on the export button below the code, you get an option "script source" that creates a file with baf-extension. This is an uncompiled bcs file and it is what you use to write your scripts. Afterwards you would COMPILE the baf file during your mod installation to add it to the game (you see how that is done in every mod's tp2 you look at.)
    Of course you can test your code by directly putting it into NI and using the compile option. Just mind that such changes are just in your local game and lost when you change your installation.
  • edited June 4
     COMPILE ~DSotSC/base/baf~ EVALUATE_BUFFER USING ~DSotSC/language/%LANGUAGE%/baf.tra~
    And now I dont know why, but mine creature is unarmed. When I added your script, still it might be in another script? Should I remove it from WDARSGT.BCS?
    IF
    See(NearestEnemyOf(Myself))
    !Range(NearestEnemyOf(Myself),5)
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    EquipRanged()
    AttackReevaluate(NearestEnemyOf(Myself),30)
    END
  • I made a small example that you can use, modify expand just as you like.
    It is packed like any mod.
    You find the setup exe-file and the mod folder.
    The mod folder has 2 subfolders (you can add as many as you need later) cre and baf
    Your first assassin is in the cre-folder
    The baf has two scripts, one is the attack script that I also assigned to the cre. The other is a script that puts the man into the game at the stone circles where Gorion died (ar2700).
    You see how all of this is added to the game in the tp2 file.
    There is a bit of comment in each of the files that may help.
  • Thank you so much :) 
  • Hi again :) Im trying to learn something about monster summoning spells, in BGEE I found this one below. Its summon efreet, I looked everywhere in that spell and I learned it use resource EEF file, SPFREET.EEF, when I looked inside, type is Summon Creature(67). summon Djinni uses SPDJ.EEF .. this is file determinating summoned type of creature? Or where should I look when I wanna summon other creature, for example I wanna summon Doom Guard for few rounds.
  • edited June 5
    konva said:
    Hi again :) Im trying to learn something about monster summoning spells, in BGEE I found this one below. Its summon efreet, I looked everywhere in that spell and I learned it use resource EEF file, SPFREET.EEF, when I looked inside, type is Summon Creature(67). summon Djinni uses SPDJ.EEF .. this is file determinating summoned type of creature? Or where should I look when I wanna summon other creature, for example I wanna summon Doom Guard for few rounds.
    You got that right. You would need your own spl-file that uses its own eef-file that either points to some existing cre-file or one you create as well.

If you look into SPFReet.eff you see below Summon Creature (67)  some more entries like "Duration" (how long the summons will exist) and Resource - this one defines a cre-file which is the one that will spawn (in this case EfreetSu.cre).
  • edited June 5
    Well,I dont see resource EfreetSu.cre there, i see only Resource 2: SPPORTAL

Downloaded lnewer version, used some from 2012 :D
  • Hi again, I created new creature, managed to meet my requirements, even working script using existing ones, managed to rename it in near infinity, but in game still shows as Karlat(yes I took him as base). Could you please help me fix its name?
  • The cre file is not of use here. The name is given during the installation via commands in your tp2. Look at the example from yesterday and how after the COPY cre-file there was a
    SAY NAME1
    SAY NAME2

(One is the name shown in dialogues and screens etc the other is the tooltip name)

• ahh okay got it :) thanks :)
  • Hmm just wondering, if in EET, candlekeep has area code BG2600 .. where I could find that? Wanna look there but it is not updated to EE games:
    https://gibberlings3.github.io/iesdp/appendices/area_lists/bg1aref.htm

• konva said:
    Hmm just wondering, if in EET, candlekeep has area code BG2600 .. where I could find that? Wanna look there but it is not updated to EE games:
    https://gibberlings3.github.io/iesdp/appendices/area_lists/bg1aref.htm

It is clearly stated in the text above the area list - in EET the AR-prefix becomes BG for BG1 areas.
  • Hello,
    how could I easily rename spell and update safely description?
    Could you also guide me with creating new spell please? I wanna create Summon Doom Guard spell, 4th level, summons 1 creature, duration: 1 turn, later on I might change some aspects, like level or duration
  • edited June 9
    Those entries are for your tp2 file

• Change the description of an existing spell

COPY_EXISTING ~xxx.spl~ ~override~
         SAY 0xc  ~Name~
         SAY 0x8  ~Identified name~
         SAY 0x50 ~Description~

• Make a copy of an existing spell with new name and description

COPY_EXISTING ~xxx.spl~ ~override/newspell.spl~
         SAY 0xc  ~Name~
         SAY 0x50 ~Description~

• Add your own new spell to the game (It is in the spl subfolder of your mod)

COPY ~konvamod/spl/mynew1.spl~ ~override~
         SAY 0xc  ~Name~
         SAY 0x50 ~Description~

Remark - if you want to add a lot of text/names/ descriptions etc you should consider to use an extra file setup.tra to contain your texts. In this case your tp2 will have entries like @001 instead of the text and the tra-file will have @001 =~the text itself~
    You reference the tra file once in the header of your tp2 file, just look into any mod you have to see the details of how such entry looks.