Drizzt saga

Hello Roxanne,
How can I defeat this ultimate Boss (Irenicus) in Drizzt Saga ?

I only achieve this on the n-th try, if I am awfully lucky (and "only" have 2 dead and Sandrah is still alive....)

Is there a Trick or some advice ?

Thnx in advance

Comments

• Have each party member drink the death ward potions you find in the previous areas.
    In my recent playthrough I was lucky and he died before he could spawn all his minions.
    I had Sandrah cast Mystra's Army and one of those hit him deadly just by chance. Ir was just seconds.

One tactic is go in and out of the area, if you agree that this is not cheating, and have one or the other monster follow you. Once he is alone there is not much opposition anymore.

• Thnx for the Tip
    Almost always one of my Party gets charmed, so I cannot use hit and run anymoe ;-(

• Lundar said:
    Thnx for the Tip
    Almost always one of my Party gets charmed, so I cannot use hit and run anymoe ;-(

I have casualties in this fight as well most of the time. It is a kind of boss fight. In my current play through http://baldursextendedworld.com/Vanilla_Forums/discussion/217/eroans-journey-my-eet-log I even did this episode after Sarevok just before I went into SoD (thanks to the Tamoko mod by which the player can decide when to do the transition instead of the auto-end upon Sarevok's death).
  • Speaking of which. Trying a new install on a new PC and I can't find the Drizzt Saga Mod ("selected download defect" is the message in the EET setup). Any reliable link?  Thanks a lot
  • Maravenore said:
    Speaking of which. Trying a new install on a new PC and I can't find the Drizzt Saga Mod ("selected download defect" is the message in the EET setup). Any reliable link?  Thanks a lot
    I just checked the link and it is fine. Maybe at times and from some locations the automated download is blocked and you need to manually do it. This is a random thing where the hosting site thinks that a bot downloads too many files and wants to assure you are a human.
  • Thanks a lot

• Hi,

I started the drizzt hell map from (probably?) drizzt mod a lot of time again because :
    1) it is awfully difficulty because demons erase magic, and OS my charname with a little fireball...
    which is something that I could play with if that was all but it's not because:
    2) the map is really bugged (i'll take a screenshot and restart after it if I die)

3) the game becomes very buggy (some ctd randomly) with drizzt in the team (like for example when I rest in the ulgoth beard inn, or when i quick load my quick save with him).

Is that known/expected?

Greetings,
  • It is neither known nor expected. (Can a random CtD be expected?)

The extreme difficulty is expected/designed by the mod.
  • edited March 1
    Extract the files to BG2EE/override and see if it is better.
    Full set in next post!!!
  • The mod has been updated about 14 days ago (your game may be older).
    Here are the graphic files without the glitches.
    Extract to BG2EE/override
  • Thanks Roxanne.

My installation being a little older (the update is around 14 so you say, and my intallation was like on the 12).

I extracted to the override folder.
    Is it normal that it didn't replace any file?
    (I'll try later to play it, can't for now)
  • It is correct that no files were replaced. The old tis-files are not in override but in a biff that EET transferred from BG1. The pvrz-files do not exist in the old game.
    The new files are those in the EE-format, while the mod was never updated before to handle them. Using old format in EE produces the graphic glitches you have. The package I provided should replace all Drizzt mod areas this way.
  • okay that's really nice.
  • For information, some other maps were bugged aswel (vampire-mound ones) even after applying the patch you provided.
  • LordSith said:
    For information, some other maps were bugged aswel (vampire-mound ones) even after applying the patch you provided.
    Do you have the area codes?

• edited March 3
    I'll check with an old save and go there again. Wait a bit.

F_6664
    F_0223

BTW in F_0222 the entrance north is accessible through a gateway which is too narrow to be crossed by pcs. I had to ctrl+j in the transit area to change area. I'm not sure you can change it, but since I posted anyway.

I didn't finish the mod because it felt unbalanced (and how much had I to mod it to make it more balanced if intended for a level 15-20 party [it's like the persons who did it never checked the monster manual. I get you can change some things, but there are basic rules anyway for a game]) and finally uninteresting (=> it is mainly combat without purpose nor roleplay, nor link to anything in the game, except that little Sandrah's demon cameo).
    I left some areas unvisited, keeping them for later if i can come back (now that Drizzt has already left me) so I may come back.
  • I remember Sandrah will say something after the last boss in drizzt saga, which looks like related to story in sod later...not sure whether drizzt saga must be finished in order to continue her later quest..
  • For the last boss, do you mean the undead one (who is apparently an unnamed Bhaal child)? the area i did not do is the bear village.

Drizzt lefft me after undead one dies, so I guessed the rest was mainly filler or side quests.
  • In the final area you will find a statue and a letter. The final boss is some "hooded man". The letter is the clue about who he was and why the vampires are there.
    If anyone still wonders where beamdog shoplifted the ideas for SoD, the answer may be here.
    Drizzt has no effect on Sandrah's quests, however she will comment on these and later events at different occasions to point out some thread (in case you played the Drizzt Saga). Also, if Drizzt has left you normally at the end of these events, there will be the option in SoA to play all of Region of Terror without needing to recruit him again and you can instead fill his slot with a "real" NPC.

@LordSith Bear Village is a side quest, as is the Lich quest in the cave near the fire dragons.
  • As Roxanne said, you have to use these special potions of immunity for constitution drain, on full party.

You have to buff party before you enter that final area.

Problem is, Irenicus use Dispel Magic (or Remove Magic) when he starts fight. Just one time. If that hits your party, you have little chance there..

I used this trick, but keep in mind that I did play without XP reduction, so my party had plenty of XP. Imoen as Mage was able to use Spell Immunity Abjuration (in that case, he can't dispel her buffs). I think I did bought that spell in main town in Secret of Bonehill mod.

Of course, all my parth was hasted and had boots of speed. Trick is to immidiately, even before he start dialogue, to run towards him.

His AI script is not very smart, so he does not check for her Spell Immunity. He will cast Dispel on nearest enemy. By separating Imoen, he just wasted that dispel causing nothing.

Than vampires and some demon are summoned. My party including Drizzt did not have much problems to kill them, while Imoen run around and Irenicus wasted his special Magic Missiles (these ones bypass magic resistance) and Melf Acid Arrow on her, but she was protected by Minor Globe. Yes, Minor Globe blocks his spells 100%, and his AI is not smart enough there to target someone else, he just target his nearest enemy.

It still require strong and prepared party, maybe I did reload few times, it is again not so easy, but it is way easier by going with this strategy. I did not use leaving area and returning.
    "Lolth be praised" :p
  • This mod sounds like more trouble than else.. is it skippable?
  • Blash said:
    This mod sounds like more trouble than else.. is it skippable?
    The mod is started by a) accepting Drizzt's offer after Durlag's Tower AND b) recruiting him in Ulgoth's Beard.

You really have to consciously do both to get the quest at all...

• edited April 2
    Blash said:
    This mod sounds like more trouble than else.. is it skippable?

I had no problems with it. For me it is fun to play. You also get cool items. There is many dialogues between Drizzt and Sandrah. And it provides some challenge.
    Ah, and Drizzt alternate portrait is way better (I did change it with EEKeeper every time, another portrait was there).

You think it is bugged or it is too hard?
    "Lolth be praised" :p
  • 1. I don't like mods that force NPCs into your party. I have a fixed 6 characters party and don't want to leave anyone behind, except for very good reasons.
    2. I play a no-reload game, and the final fight relies too heavily on luck or on having experienced that particular fight (which I never did).
    3. It seems to be very hard and hence too risky for a no-reload game.
    4. I'm not very reassured by bug reports either.

That's all  :)
  • edited April 3
    For 1. I have modded a workaround but it is part of the Sandrah mod
    For 2 + 3 I agree
    For 4. I know of no unresolved bugs for this mod.

I assume that 2 + 3 are reason enough to skip it in your current run.
  • Github commit from 16 hours ago:

v3.02 No mandatory party, SoD compatibility added

I also see many other commits. What has been changed exactly in the mod?
  • You can play Drizzt without his companions being forced onto you. Until that change, Drizzt would leave if you kick out any of his friends and his friends would auto-enter the party when you met them.
    Graphical issues in the new areas have been fixed.
    The content is compatible now with SoD's final fight.
  • Very interesting, thank you!