CTD: After completing planar quest

Hello, i'm getting a crash to desktop after i complete the quest and get a dialogue pop from a messenger trying to invite me to a party that is to be host in two days time, i assume this might have something to do with the mage stronghold mod or so, but if i'm mistaken feel free to correct me. It seems to crash after the dialogue finishes with this messenger.

Comments

• Do you have a save game from this? Your description is a bit vague. Is this after the regular planar sphere quest when you leave the sphere towards the town?
    The messenger invites you to a wedding in the bridge district? You agreed to take Lavok outside?
  • Roxanne said:
    Do you have a save game from this? Your description is a bit vague. Is this after the regular planar sphere quest when you leave the sphere towards the town?
    The messenger invites you to a wedding in the bridge district? You agreed to take Lavok outside?

Yeah, i agreed to take lavok outside and it teleported us right outside the front gate and then the messenger prompts up a response somewhere around the slums area despite being unable to see him, in essence he is in fog of war telling me about this wedding.

• There is indeed something wrong with that messenger.
    - load up your save and immediately hit "pause"
    - With console enter C:SetGlobal("CBWeddingQuestStarts","Global",1)
    - hit "pause again" to continue

I have not yet found why the messenger should crash the game and why he talks before he reaches the players.
  • Roxanne said:
    There is indeed something wrong with that messenger.

I have not yet found why the messenger should crash the game and why he talks before he reaches the players.

I think the crashing has stopped, So how do i go about doing this quest now since things have been changed.
  • Roxanne said:
    There is indeed something wrong with that messenger.

I think the crashing has stopped, So how do i go about doing this quest now since things have been changed.
    I found the source. The crash comes from the invitation scroll the messenger gives you. That item has a problem, I just have not yet found what it is.
  • It was not the scroll. The problem is the journal entry that goes with it.
    You need to modify the messenger dialogue for it not to trigger.
    Are you familiar with Near Infinity? In this case I can tell you what to do.
    Otherwise, please post this file and I will change it
    BG2EE/override/CBSFMess.dlg
  • Roxanne said:
    It was not the scroll. The problem is the journal entry that goes with it.
    You need to modify the messenger dialogue for it not to trigger.
    Are you familiar with Near Infinity? In this case I can tell you what to do.
    Otherwise, please post this file and I will change it
    BG2EE/override/CBSFMess.dlg
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/btby7p9y3azqx5g/CBSFMESS.dlg?dl=0
  • Just put the attached file in the place of the other one.

Either start from that save or - if you already played further - just use
    C:CreateCreature("CBSFMess") to spawn the guy. Everything should run normal when he comes up to talk with you.
  • Roxanne said:
    Just put the attached file in the place of the other one.

Either start from that save or - if you already played further - just use
    C:CreateCreature("CBSFMess") to spawn the guy. Everything should run normal when he comes up to talk with you.

It is still crashing to desktop, though this time only when i go into my inventory after receiving the document

• It is still crashing to desktop, though this time only when i go into my inventory after receiving the document
    I see. I fiddled around with the letter first to find the issue there. So when I tested the revised dialogue I had already a repaired letter in my game...Two bugs in one mini-quest. This is Check the Bodies mod, but only this episode as it seems.

Extract the attached file to the same place as the dlg file.
    Be aware that it is just a strawman file that is used by the butler later to see that you have it - the text etc is all wrong but it does not matter, just cosmetic.
  • Roxanne said:

It is still crashing to desktop, though this time only when i go into my inventory after receiving the document
    I see. I fiddled around with the letter first to find the issue there. So when I tested the revised dialogue I had already a repaired letter in my game...Two bugs in one mini-quest. This is Check the Bodies mod, but only this episode as it seems.

Extract the attached file to the same place as the dlg file.
    Be aware that it is just a strawman file that is used by the butler later to see that you have it - the text etc is all wrong but it does not matter, just cosmetic.

So this is just so the butler lets me in, What was the original text anyways? Could it in theory have been repaired with the original text in tacked? Dunno if CTB is actively maintained by the original author anymore.
  • edited January 25

So this is just so the butler lets me in, What was the original text anyways? Could it in theory have been repaired with the original text in tacked? Dunno if CTB is actively maintained by the original author anymore.
    I already created a fix for it. I also made a pull request to the current maintainer on github with the repairs. Everyone else from now who uses Install Tool will have it correct. I cannot say when/if weigo puts it into the mod itself.

It is only for an online fix in a running game that I cannot provide the item with the matching text because the strings are all locally different if you do not compile it.

"This is an invitation to a banquet being held in the home of Saerk Farrahd in Athkatla in honor of his daughter's débutante ball.  A messenger gave it to you and told you that the ball would be held precisely two days from then, so you should arrive on that day after 8 of the clock in the evening.  Present this invitation to the ushers inside the Farrahd mansion and you will be allowed entrance.

(This looks to be an important note, one that you should hold on to)"
    Just now that I see the text...the crash comes from "debutante" with the french symbol in it...
  • Roxanne said:

I already created a fix for it. I also made a pull request to the current maintainer on github with the repairs. Everyone else from now who uses Install Tool will have it correct. I cannot say when/if weigo puts it into the mod itself.

It is only for an online fix in a running game that I cannot provide the item with the matching text because the strings are all locally different if you do not compile it.

"This is an invitation to a banquet being held in the home of Saerk Farrahd in Athkatla in honor of his daughter's débutante ball.  A messenger gave it to you and told you that the ball would be held precisely two days from then, so you should arrive on that day after 8 of the clock in the evening.  Present this invitation to the ushers inside the Farrahd mansion and you will be allowed entrance.

(This looks to be an important note, one that you should hold on to)"
    Just now that I see the text...the crash comes from "debutante" with the french symbol in it...

Fair enough, this mansion is in the bridge district i take it?
  • Yes, the big house in the north. The lower entrance, ar0504.
  • Hmm, i'm at the location, been spaming control and t to make time go fast and no butler shows up or so.
  • Roxanne said:
    Yes, the big house in the north. The lower entrance, ar0504.

Yeah, no matter what i do nothing happens and i'm lost trying to get into the place.
  • Roxanne said:

Yeah, no matter what i do nothing happens and i'm lost trying to get into the place.
    Try
    C:SetGlobal("CbCanDoWedding","GLOBAL",1)
    it should open that door.
  • edited January 26
    Roxanne said:
    Roxanne said:

Try
    C:SetGlobal("CbCanDoWedding","GLOBAL",1)
    it should open that door.

Will do, do you think fixing the aforementioned bug for future installs will also make sure this issue won't happen again? Pure conjecture of course.

EDIT: The door opens, but no important npcs are present, just a butler and a few guards on the lower level.
  • My personal view is that this episode should just be disabled. It may conflict with the Anomen story that has been improved for EE while the mod considers the previous version.
    CtB is a collection of many individual mini-quests, so skipping one has no effect on any other.
  • Roxanne said:
    My personal view is that this episode should just be disabled. It may conflict with the Anomen story that has been improved for EE while the mod considers the previous version.
    CtB is a collection of many individual mini-quests, so skipping one has no effect on any other.

I made a quick edit to the previous post, basically the npcs aren't present as they should be, even though the door is open and a butler and a few guards are present in the home.

• Roxanne said:
    My personal view is that this episode should just be disabled. It may conflict with the Anomen story that has been improved for EE while the mod considers the previous version.

I made a quick edit to the previous post, basically the npcs aren't present as they should be, even though the door is open and a butler and a few guards are present in the home.
    This is much about timing, nothing happens if you are too early or too late. I only played this once very long ago in BGT and it was quite unsatisfying. Maybe someone else has better ideas of what you are supposed to do or what will happen at all...
  • Roxanne said:

Roxanne said:

This is much about timing, nothing happens if you are too early or too late. I only played this once very long ago in BGT and it was quite unsatisfying. Maybe someone else has better ideas of what you are supposed to do or what will happen at all...

Well the clue is 2 days and at 8 pm, my in game day at the time of getting the letter is like 1009 days and 13 hours. I assume that 1011 days and 20th hour is the correct time to enter. Eh. 
  • Anywho, thanks for the help. Hopefully this little quest will work in the future.

Funny, because i just installed ctb without the other subcomponets that came with it because it was in conflict of TDD

• Anywho, thanks for the help. Hopefully this little quest will work in the future.

Funny, because i just installed ctb without the other subcomponets that came with it because it was in conflict of TDD
    Even then - there are more than a dozen other quests from CtB main component that work well. Most likely you do not notice those that have no issues.
  • Roxanne said:

Anywho, thanks for the help. Hopefully this little quest will work in the future.

Even then - there are more than a dozen other quests from CtB main component that work well. Most likely you do not notice those that have no issues.

Yeah, hard to tell which is from what when you have a big collection of mods.  SHS is down so i can't look at every little mod like i normally can. But what mods did you enjoy from CTB?
  • It is normally not a good idea for a modder to comment on other people's work, but this is a classic, so...

Good episodes
    - Of Elves and Artifacts
    - Ryberg and his Uncle
    - Hlondeth
    - Dissatisfied villagers in Government District
    - The silenced woman in Copper Coronet kitchen

Interesting
    - Library in Umar Hills
    - Spellfire (more plays at Playhouse)
    - The master vampire (find clues after Bodhi's defeat)

Uninteresting
    - Holly the elf in Temple district (just find stuff all over the game)
    - Wedding quest (the bugged one you suffered)
    - Candlekeep chores

Really bad
    - Academy of Kuldin (overpowered and buggy)
    - Company of Eight in Tethir Forest (overpowered, buggy and outdated)

There are some others but I forgot about them or never played them.

• Geez, forum crash. Anywho what i was going to say was are the citizens you refer to in the above post exist in front of the main government building? If so i assume you speak of the wine quest person and the other who ask you to enter into his contest with a riddle?

• Geez, forum crash. Anywho what i was going to say was are the citizens you refer to in the above post exist in front of the main government building? If so i assume you speak of the wine quest person and the other who ask you to enter into his contest with a riddle?
    No, it is a single encounter in the government district with a group of citizens and some cowled wizards. It happens after you come from Underdark. No signs of it earlier.
  • Roxanne said:

Geez, forum crash. Anywho what i was going to say was are the citizens you refer to in the above post exist in front of the main government building? If so i assume you speak of the wine quest person and the other who ask you to enter into his contest with a riddle?
    No, it is a single encounter in the government district with a group of citizens and some cowled wizards. It happens after you come from Underdark. No signs of it earlier.

Ah fair enough, I think i'm going to try and do many quest like Shadows and some other quest before doing underdark related things.