Sites down? (G3 and SHS)

edited July 16 in NEWS
It appears that Spellhold and G3 are both down.
Mods hosted there may be unavailable.

Comments

• Confirmed. I checked them with https://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/ and it says it's for everyone.
    It happens every now and then because they both are on the same servers. Often it takes a couple of days for them to come back.
  • In case someone is missing a mod for download and cannot wait, just ask.
    There are some backups around that may be used. Like @NameLessOne stated, this happens regularly and is no reason to get desperate.
  • Does someone have the Neera and the worldmap mods from Spellhold, please?
  • Wonderful. Those were the only ones missing for my current game.
  • This is not directly related, but CoM site downloads have problems as well.
    I can't get Dark Horizons, just for example.
  • If you use EE Install Tool it has the working download link.
  • If you use EE Install Tool it has the working download link.
    Yes, I'm using the BWS-EE but it failed this mod. I used the download link for manual force in the tool and now it works. It must have been some network glitch.
    Anyway, thanks for great help around here.
    (It's the same link you gave, Paula, so that one id fine,)
  • edited May 29
    Could you help me out with the new banter mods?
    There was a big bulk of them released recently and the EE tool all has them but can't get them from SHS.
  • You're talking about the IEP banter series for sure.
    You should try it on the Beamdog forum because the modder who did those updates is very active there. He will have all of them at hand.
  • You're talking about the IEP banter series for sure.
    You should try it on the Beamdog forum because the modder who did those updates is very active there. He will have all of them at hand.
    I already checked. Over there they say the can't have mirrors since such violates whatever rules.
  • Bjoern said:
    You're talking about the IEP banter series for sure.
    I already checked. Over there they say the can't have mirrors since such violates whatever rules.
    This is understandable. I made a comment on the dangers of such mirror links a few days back here: http://baldursextendedworld.com/Vanilla_Forums/discussion/comment/39/#Comment_39
    The big problem arises when those mirrors continue to exist/be used after the sites come back. If mods get updated it all gets out of sync. People copy the copies etc.

We should not mirror any actively maintained mods because of a few days of downtime from a host. It is another situation for old mods that have lost their home base. But this is not the case with these new updates.

Just relax and wait a day or two.

• Both sites seem to be back up again.
  • It looks like it happened once more. Both sites are down?
  • Heya,
    you changed the Adrian link back to original download site after the extraction problem was solved. Now that site is down, Spellhold. Can you give me the alternative link please.
  • Bjoern said:
    Heya,
    you changed the Adrian link back to original download site after the extraction problem was solved. Now that site is down, Spellhold. Can you give me the alternative link please.
    Note that this is v4.2 while the mod is now at 4.3, but I unless I missed a detail, the only update in the version was the re-packaging.
  • Does someone have an alternative link for SCS please.
  • Does someone have an alternative link for SCS please.

NOTE - All interim links and files will be removed immediately when the original hosting sites come back up!!!
  • Does anyone have the Haer'Dalis romance mod 2.2? It was only up for a month or so and now SHS is down and I can't get it.
  • Does anyone have the Haer'Dalis romance mod 2.2? It was only up for a month or so and now SHS is down and I can't get it.
    I have version 2.1 with the EET-patch and former BWFixpack patches. Unless I am completely mistaken, this should be equivalent to v2.2. At least if you consider the English version, other languages may not be fully supported.
    If that suits you, I can provide it.

• Roxanne said:
    Does anyone have the Haer'Dalis romance mod 2.2? It was only up for a month or so and now SHS is down and I can't get it.
    I have version 2.1 with the EET-patch and former BWFixpack patches. Unless I am completely mistaken, this should be equivalent to v2.2. At least if you consider the English version, other languages may not be fully supported.
    yes, please, and thank you!

• Roxanne said:
    Does anyone have the Haer'Dalis romance mod 2.2? It was only up for a month or so and now SHS is down and I can't get it.
    yes, please, and thank you!
    I will send you the link by PM message.
  • The sites are back.
  • I think, it‘s a bad idea, asking for mods, when a site is temporary down. Older versions may scrumble your installation, downloadlinks from unknown sources can be infected or patched for personal wishes.
    You can trust Roxanne - but can she trust her unofficial links?
    Because weidu copies itself over older versions, we have mostly deactivated antivirus and changed UIC - a perfect scenario for trojans and viruses. And when we need to reinstall the complete system 3 days later, we don‘t remember, that we surfed while installing. We only knew, that there has been a file from an unofficial repository or from any user.
    When the creator or provider presents an alternative link, we are not angry on a person but on an institution, but when we - even if it‘s an error - believe someone has proved us with an infected file, trouble is preprogrammed.
    When Microsoft is down, you wait and do not load the attempted NEW UPDATE from side 6 in google. And when SHS or G3 are down you should be patient and wait too. 
  • edited August 1

After the last timeout for both sites, I come to a similar conclusion. While these events were rare in the past, they now become frequent. Both forums have started to backup files on github meanwhile, even if not many/all yet.
    While having multiple download sources under normal condition is pretty good for tools like BWS or Install Tool because the download process is faster when you can grab files in parallel from many links, having no backups after the recent downtimes (3 this year already?) should be avoided.

Anyway, this is just an observation.
    I always take down all emergency links after the sites come back up for consistency reasons alone.
    For the next time, it will just be wait and be patient - or store your own local repository just in case.
  • Only SHS is down this time, G3 is working.
  • On the Install Tool I have made further changes to get independent of essential files hosted on those sites that now fail almost frequently.
    Anyway, there is no workaround for mods that are exclusively using the hosting systems of those websites unless the respective modders provide for alternatives.
    In summary, you can do installations even while G3 and/or SHS are down but you may be missing one mod or other. If you change your game setup often, the best way is to keep the downloaded files somewhere and use those stored files in case of failure. You can just point the install tool to any file it is missing to download if you have it anywhere in your environment.
  • SHS is back.
  • Again single failure for SHS. It used to happen once a year in older times but now it's failing regularly. Is there still no alternative to download crucial mods?
  • leuvien said:
    Again single failure for SHS. It used to happen once a year in older times but now it's failing regularly. Is there still no alternative to download crucial mods?
    Many mods are available from other sources. Only some individual content mods may not be available with the forum down.
    The EE Install Tool has now backup facilities that allow installations even when those sites are down, at least for the large majority of mods. Like said earlier, if you do new installations often, it is advised to keep your downloads stored for later use. You can use many mod downloads later - if you use the install tool, it will check if your existing version is still the valid one and only update if required.