Help Needed - Jan's Quest Mod

Hi there.  Jan's Quest Mod (not the original quest) didn't trigger, which should happen after you finish his normal quest.  Is there a specific global or console creature I should create to kick start it?

It should be noted that this mod was installed after the BEW tool finished the mega mod installation.  I had to add it manually, as the mod's link was down for a time.  Seems like all the pertinent files are present, as I checked for that.  Thanks in advance.

Comments

• The quest is supposed to start one day after you finished the other quest.
    Check these globals
    C:GetGlobal("JanLissaPlot","GLOBAL")   >>>this should be 21
    C:GetGlobal("E_JLen","GLOBAL")  >>>this should be 22

You need to be in one of the large outdoor city area for some messenger to spawn and give you the quest. Of course, Jan must be in party.

• Ok I understand.  It has been about 12 hours since I finished Jan's normal plot, and of course, Jan is in the party.  At the moment I've got:

JanLissaPlot 21
    E_JLen 22

I have to finish the Crypt of Durkon, and then rest, and see if the spawn shows up in Athkatla.  I'll let you know.  Fingers crossed.
  • edited July 18
    Ok, the spawn occurred.  However the mod glitched out, and may be unfixable.  Instead of the messenger explaining what is going on with Lissa, the dialogue was corrupted with a bunch of gibberish from the Azengaard mod, and a equipment item .TLK file (I think) was displayed as the dialogue.  So the mods which I installed manually, Azengaard and Jan's mod may have interfered with each other.  So far the first part of Azengaard worked fine, but the Jan's quest mod is not OK.  This is very odd indeed.

Now, since I had to "answer" the messenger, by selecting gibberish choices, Jan has teleported away without the party (supposed to be transported to the temple of Ilmater where Lissa is).  I have a save game before this, so I can go back.

Since I've already played this mod once, and it fun, I don't need to play it again. What would be a good way to stop this mod from going any further (so Jan does not disappear, never to be found again).  Can I just delete a few globals and carry on?  Would that terminate the mod?  Or perhaps you might have another suggestion.  

I noticed that some of this mod's .CRE files also have some gibberish/other mods dialogue as part of the .CRE names.  Must be overwritten somehow.
  • edited July 19
    Have you installed the mod after EET_end?  (Check in weidu.log if you are not sure.)
    The mod appends to vanilla dialogues and creatures. You need to uninstall it, uninstall EET_end, install the mod, install EET_end.
    Then go back to a save before the messenger spawned.
    (Not sure however if that still works, there may be something already saved from the mod...but my best advice if anything can work.)
    Azengard has nothing to do with it, since it does not change anything in game files and only adds its own creatures and dialogues.

Important! The Jan mod's default language is French. When installing it manually make sure that you have selected English, otherwise the text will go into the French translation while you play English.

PS - if you uninstall EET_end, it may as well uninstall and automatically re-install other mods (all that was installed after it). This is normal weidu processing and nothing to worry about.
  • edited July 19
    Thanks very much Roxanne, I had the English language option selected.  I tried to see how I could continue the latest run, and just get by without the Jan's Quest Mod.  Unfortunately, several other errors manifested.  For example, CtB Ryberg module began acting up.  First he never appeared in the Promenade.  Second, after CLUAing him in, the dialog didn't fire correctly.  Then his Uncle didn't set a variable as needed, and he kept looping the dialogue.  Then the Edwina Quest started OK, but then later started looping also.  I decided to abandon this install completely, and have deleted it entirely.  I took the plunge and have updated the base BG2EE game to GOG's 2.6.  

I have decided to try 2.6 with a new BEW install, and experiment and see how it goes.  I also wanted to try using Near Infinity, which I have never done.  Looks like you need Java (?really?) to use it.  Is that right?  I also updated and installed the latest DLTCEP to 7.8, but for some reason the set-up is different and I'm going nuts on trying to tell the program where the .DAT file is, The CHITEN key is marked correctly, but the IDSP effects .Dat won't be accepted in the set up. I'm feeling kind of dumb right now.
  • I have not used DLTCEP for a decade now, so I cannot help with that.

For Near Infinity, the current version is so far advanced and intuitive that I rarely need any other tool (except some editor) for modding or bug repair these days. I can only recommend it wholeheartedly. https://github.com/NearInfinityBrowser/NearInfinity/wiki should answer any question.
  • Ok, thanks for the link.  I installed the Java Runtime Env, and have extracted IE to the game folder.  It took me a few tries to figure out that the NI JAR file needs to see the chitin key to load.  I'm still obviously going to need to practice with this, but it has a different feel than DLTCEP, for sure.  Even though the wiki has explanations, you still need to do some of this stuff via practicing.  Or, at least I do.
  • LichDiet said:
    Ok, thanks for the link.  I installed the Java Runtime Env, and have extracted IE to the game folder.  It took me a few tries to figure out that the NI JAR file needs to see the chitin key to load.  I'm still obviously going to need to practice with this, but it has a different feel than DLTCEP, for sure.  Even though the wiki has explanations, you still need to do some of this stuff via practicing.  Or, at least I do.
    Just a hint - I would keep NI outside the game folder. You can access more than one game/installation with the tool. You can bookmark several games (by chitin.key) and just switch between them. You can use the same NI for all the games it supports (e.g. IWD, BG1, EET, BG2, PST etc).
    This is why I would keep it outside of the game installation.

• Haha, I followed the directions on the page, and it suggested doing what I did.  But I understand what you are saying, and it doesn't need to be in only one game folder.  I guess I can just delete that stuff and place a new one in its own folder.  That way I can select which CHITIN I'm going to view (like a virgin unmodded BG@EE or a modded one).

So there really is no shortcut for NI?  It is just a JAR file that you have to load each time?  And then you have to tell it which CHITIIN to look at?  Sorry for the Noob queries here.
  • LichDiet said:
    Haha, I followed the directions on the page, and it suggested doing what I did.  But I understand what you are saying, and it doesn't need to be in only one game folder.  I guess I can just delete that stuff and place a new one in its own folder.  That way I can select which CHITIN I'm going to view (like a virgin unmodded BG@EE or a modded one).

So there really is no shortcut for NI?  It is just a JAR file that you have to load each time?  And then you have to tell it which CHITIIN to look at?  Sorry for the Noob queries here.
    I created a shortcut for my desktop on windows for it. No problem.
    It always starts with the game that I had last opened. Then I have the options to move to other previously stored games from the main menu. (I cannot remember if I had to do some settings for that in the beginning, it is too long ago).

Also, it is very useful to go to options/show override files and select in ??? folders >>>otherwise override files are shown in a separate header and not under the usual cre/itm/are etc headers. Putting them with the normal files means that you always see the version that the game really uses.

• All good Roxanne.  I'm going to figure it out.  But, as a back-up, I also updated my DLTCEP to 7.8 (2019 version), which has most of the newer OPCODES loaded, and actually explains what they actually do better than the most recent G3 Opcode descriptions.  The ones listed in the most recent NI are also missing a few descriptions (or not even showing some of the more recent ones). They go all the way into the 400's now.  I suppose Beamdog has been busy, adding to the game engine.

Thanks for the advice on the override.  I need to make sure I do that, so any edits I want to keep, like items, spells or stores actually show up in one place.