TDDz + Drow Items

Having a bug that I *think* is being caused by The Darkest Day. In baldur.bcs, I have the following block:

IF
    GlobalTimerExpired("tz_DrowItemsTimer","GLOBAL")
    Global("tz_DrowItems","GLOBAL",1)
    OR(2)
        TimeOfDay(MORNING)
        TimeOfDay(DAY)
    OR(2)
        AreaType(CITY)
        AreaType(OUTDOOR)
THEN
    RESPONSE #100
        CreateCreatureObject("rabbit01",Player1,0,0,0)  // Rabbit
        ActionOverride("rabbit01",ChangeAIScript("DWITEMS",OVERRIDE))
        SetGlobalTimer("tz_DrowItemsTimer","GLOBAL",ONE_DAY)
END

DWITEMS.bcs looks like this:

IF
    HasItem("DWCHAN01",Player1)  // Drowcraft Spellchain +1
THEN
    RESPONSE #100
        TakeItemReplace("DWDUST","DWCHAN01",Player1)  // Adamantine Dust
        Continue()
END

repeatedly.

I haven't been able to determine where the baldur.bcs code comes from, but DWITEMS.bcs seems to be from TDDz, in TTDz\_RIATAVIN\BAF\.

The problem is that Ust Natha is considered to be a CITY zone. Soo this just disintegrates my Drow gear while I'm still in the Underdark....

Comments

• edited March 9
    The baldur addon is also from TDDz in _Riatavin/Snip/bBaldur.bcs

Looks like nobody found that issue for many years, probably because the episode is considered to happen after Underdark.
    The script to set
    to 1 is attached to the elven temple on leaving Underdark.

You have the special case here where you finished the TDD drow episode already previously, so the global is at 1 for you when you go to Underdark. (Another trigger for it is in DD8000, that area way in the south of Tethir where you met Jarlaxle).

You can solve it with console by
    C:SetGlobal("tz_DrowItems","GLOBAL",0)

Can you confirm that you had that Jarlaxle episode already like I suspect?
    If yes, I will take a look at how the TDDz code here may be improved.

• edited March 10
    Yes. I finished the Riatavin quests before entering the Underdark. I don't think there was anything preventing me from doing so... it was just entering Riatavin and following the questline?
  • Also found a bug in DD1000.ARE. The southmost door goes to DD1011.ARE, which doesn't exist. I think this was a bug in the original, and you cleared out some of the other broken doors but missed this one.
  • edited March 10
    hippofant said:
    Yes. I finished the Riatavin quests before entering the Underdark. I don't think there was anything preventing me from doing so... it was just entering Riatavin and following the questline?
    I think the best solution for this is to add a block of code to the area script in the main Underdark area (ar2100.bcs) just saying
    IF
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    SetGlobal("tz_DrowItems","GLOBAL",0)
    Continue()
    END
    It covers your sequence. Once you leave Underdark via the temple, it will be set back to 1 by the existing code. This should disable the above behaviour during your stay down there.
  • hippofant said:
    Also found a bug in DD1000.ARE. The southmost door goes to DD1011.ARE, which doesn't exist. I think this was a bug in the original, and you cleared out some of the other broken doors but missed this one.
    Thanks. I fixed this one now. I will collect your findings for a mod update. It seems that you are at the final episode now? So, in case you find more, it will be included as well.

• Yeah, I already fixed the problem myself with NearInfinity. Just wanted to let you know.

I'm having another weird bug now with Xephistagoras being immune to damage. I've found posts from other people who have been able to kill him though, but I haven't been able to find any scripts that would make him vulnerable to damage so... very puzzled as to what I'm missing here.

I just stood there and ran him out of spells, then just stood there whacking him for 30 minutes before I gave up and just CTRL-Y-ed him to get through it.

• If CTRL+Y killed him, then there was no illegal protection. If there is something like min 1HP item or script, you would see loads of damage but the creature still alive.
    So it just might have been the wrong tactics or weapons or some other mod interfering.
    In most of my playthroughs he was killed by either Mystra's army summoned or the protector with some vorpal hit, but it seems most players found some method to overcome him.
  • edited March 11
    I'm PRETTY sure it's the damage immunity. When I CTRL+Y him, I don't even get the usual 999/999/999 damage done:

When I use NearInfinity to remove the damage immunity effect from Xephistagoras, I can kill him like normal:

And I don't *think* that effect is from a mod, since it's on the original CVXEPH.CRE inside the mod package.

So best I can tell, it is that damage immunity effect that's preventing me from killing him, and if there's something that's supposed to remove that effect, I don't know what it is nor can I find it. Is there a script somewhere that's supposed to fire that I didn't trigger? Or a specific weapon I'm supposed to hit him with? I don't have Sandrah using her hammer, if that's relevant... I also have these Busts of Mystra and I don't know what I'm supposed to do with them, nor do I know what the container in front of Mystra is for. Why does CVXEPH have this effect on anyways?
  • You need the bust to leave the area after you killed Xeph. You can find one in the container near Mystra or in some container in an earlier area. You only need one. There are plenty of spells and weapons to kill Xeph but I do not have a list and there is none that is mod specific. His original design is from the Grey Clan mod, remember that you may first have met him in the Friendly Arm Inn episode way back in BG1.
  • Roxanne said:
    You need the bust to leave the area after you killed Xeph. You can find one in the container near Mystra or in some container in an earlier area. You only need one. There are plenty of spells and weapons to kill Xeph but I do not have a list and there is none that is mod specific. His original design is from the Grey Clan mod, remember that you may first have met him in the Friendly Arm Inn episode way back in BG1.

Hmmm, I have 4 versions of Xeph: CVXEP2, CVXEP3, and CVXEPH are yours, and they all have the damage immunity effect. BW05XEPH.CRE is from The Grey Clan, folder TGC1e/Actors, and this version does NOT have the damage immunity effect.

I'm also not sure we fight Xeph at any other point. Looking through the scripts, all the other Xephs just teleport away. This is the only time I've had to fight Xeph and I've found him unusually immune to damage and unusually with a damage immunity effect on him.

I understand that there are other ways to kill him - obviously, I can see his immunities and that he's not immune to vorpal or level-drain effects - but I can't imagine that you intended for players to be possibly trapped in a room with a boss they can't kill if they didn't happen to prepare correctly for him, and also get no feedback/instructions on how to do it. If it is, that's... fine I guess, but everything about this smelled like an unintended bug to me.
  • It is correct that he avoids all the other encounters if he can.
    Do you think it is a good idea to reduce (not remove) that immunity, e.g to 80 per cent?

• I don't think it's beyond the pale to have a boss that's immune to damage and requires some other method of killing. For example, the Empathic Manifestation in the Temple of the Forgotten God (Amaunator). I do think that if you're going to do that though, from a game-design perspective, it should be foreshadowed so players know what's coming and there should be options to reset.

So taking the Empathic Manifestation as an example:
    1. Before entering the temple, players receive a hint that there's something unusual in there that cannot be defeated conventionally.
    2. In the temple, the Manifestation gives a hint that attacking it only heals it.
    3. The Manifestation starts injured and heals as it is attacked, providing another, non-verbal hint to players that things here are backwards.
    4. Players can retreat out of the battle, and 2 of the Diseased Ones will provide more hints to the player on how to defeat the Manifestation.
    5. There are a couple of healing scrolls helpfully located inside the temple for players, as another hint and as a backup plan for if they've come in without any targeted healing.
    But EVEN THEN, there are a LOT of posts all over the Web asking how to kill the Empathic Manifestation, back from 2001 on IronWorks and Sorcerers and Gamefaqs etc..

For you and Sandrah in particular, the situation is even harder, because megamod installations are so frequently buggy that when I encountered this, my first assumption is that this was a bug and/or I had done something "wrong" and not triggered an important script or something. It's also an unusual effect, so I assumed it had been placed specifically to stop me from killing Xeph and there was some special thing needed to kill him.

---

I think making him vulnerable to damage would be an easy fix. The encounter would play out naturally, players would be encouraged to find alternative ways to kill him if the DR was set really high, but they could still brute-force him down if needed.

If you wanted to keep the uniqueness of the encounter, with him being damage-immune, I think that the damage-immunity needs to be signalled strongly to the user as intended. Maybe Mystra can chime in after some time and explain that he really is damage-immune and that the player needs to find another way to approach the battle. And ideally there would also be some pre-combat signalling too before the player enters the room.

That would still leave the problem of, what if the player/party has no other way to solve the problem (e.g. Finger of Death, etc..) I guess Sandrah or her summons might have a vorpal effect... my Sandrah has Wail of the Banshee at least (not sure where I got it, maybe the banshee fight in DSotSC?). Planetars have vorpal weapons, but I'm not sure if any of Sandrah's summons are actually Planetars. Letting a player be able to retreat and re-memorize spells could help, but might not totally solve the problem of a player getting completely stuck here.

---

BTW, if you were to make Xeph ~90% damage resistant and take a long time to kill, you should know that I ran Xeph out of spells. In his script, it seems like it is intended for him to start meleeing, but he does not and just stands there dumbly: