Strange Tool Error

I am getting the following error:

A recent copy of Weidu.exe must be placed in the BG1:ee folder.  Copy one from the Weidu sub directory into the main directory.

I have copied Weidu.exe into each of the game folders: 766, 783, 806

And yet I still get the error.  I have chosen all the mods, everything was downloaded and I'm at the point where It's ready to start extraction and install.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Why 3 game folders?
  • Roxanne said:
    Why 3 game folders?

They are BG1EE, BG2EE, AND SOD.  It looks like some mods were installed into the SOD game folder before the tool quits on me.  Am I getting the hangup because I have the BG1EE folder in there maybe?  Looking back on old installs I don't have the BG1EE folder there, so maybe that is the issue?  Should I start all over?  Shouldn't be a big deal since I saved the File and can easily bring my selections back up.
  • Roxanne said:
    Why 3 game folders?

They are BG1EE, BG2EE, AND SOD.  It looks like some mods were installed into the SOD game folder before the tool quits on me.  Am I getting the hangup because I have the BG1EE folder in there maybe?  Looking back on old installs I don't have the BG1EE folder there, so maybe that is the issue?  Should I start all over?  Shouldn't be a big deal since I saved the File and can easily bring my selections back up.
    You need the BGEE/SoD game, the one that has both campaigns combined.
    BGEE without SoD does not work for EET.

• Thanks, that is probably the issue then.  I will adjust according.
  • Take a look into this thread, few days ago we discussed how to make proper install.

https://baldursextendedworld.com/Vanilla_Forums/discussion/1005/need-help-with-installation-errors/p1

Did you get games from BeamDog? You need only SoD from there (already contain BG1EE) and BG2EE.
    Butt-kicking for goodness!
  • yes games are from beamdog, but I have installed EET before without an issue.  I have the same problem again.  This time I have only clean copies of SoD and BGIIEE in the game folder, the app runs thru all the pre install processes and I get the same error and then the tool just shuts down.  Here are screen shots of what the SoD directory looks like.
  • To be sure, I would delete everything (read thread I provided link to) and give it a try.

I would try everything from 0. It is not possible that SoD is modded if you just download SoD from Beamdog.

Maybe this serve no purpose, but when I have any problem and repeat install try, I also delete Install Tool (and unzip it again, and run Update EE Mod Setup).

I see no reason why problem would occur it you follow provided steps. Sorry, my eyes are closing at this moment and I hardly can think in details, but surely I will try to help if problem continue. For now this is best I can think of.

-----------------

One more trick. This may have nothing to do with your problem, but it is worth to know. If you indeed delete and unzip Install Tool again, pay attention to this. When you select language and go Continue, in EE-Mod-Setup-master directory, automatically will be created "EE Mod Downloads" directory.

There you can simply Copy/Paste downloaded mods, to shorten process of downloading again when you run Install Tool to start installation (some mods will download again regardless).
    This assume you already did go through process of mods downloading with Install Tool. So, copy files from EE Mod Downloads directory, to (for example) DOWNLOADS BACKUP which is located somewhere else, and from there copy mods to newly created EE Mod Downloads directory when you start fresh unziped Install Tool.
    But do this only if you repeat process in shortly time after you did first try. Do not do this with mods downloaded, for example, a week ago, because some mods can get updated in meantime, so you would end up with not latest versions.

The process and reason why I sometimes tries few times to make install properly and as I want (with no mods missing), is something I have to explain further and I need to report it to Roxanne, which I will be able to do next time.
  • Picture you provided, is taken before or after you did attempt EET install?

Because in your 00806 I clearly see directories and files from mods.
  • Ammanda said:
    Picture you provided, is taken before or after you did attempt EET install?

Because in your 00806 I clearly see directories and files from mods.

yes that is the weird part.  it clearly starts the process and then gives me error and shuts down.  never seen that problem before.  I will start fresh as you suggested and check out the other thread for ideas.

one thing that I just thought of.  I have always kept mods that I download in a master directory separate from the directory in the tool.  Instead I will just try letting the tool download the mods instead of pointing it to my old master directory that might be where the problem is.  it's just strange that it starts and then says it can't find weidu.exe in the folder when it is clearly there.

thanks for your help, i will report back here.
  • Check other thread, there is installation explained in very simply and detailed.

Do not keep downloaded mods in separate directory for long time. Keep it only for shortest possible time, as I explained, if you are attempting install few times in a row.

When I say "attempting install few times in a row", I do it for speficic reason. I do not have problem to make successful install, it just happen that Install Tool report some mods as it was unable to download it, and require you to manually provide it. However, sometimes happen that manually provided mods do not apply, so before continue to installation, Install Tool say that these mods was unable to be downoaded (although you provided it manually) and require you to remove these mods, or exit. So, if you accept these mods to be removed and continue, I suppose you will end up without them (you would make proper install, just without these few mods).

This does not happen on mods which Install Tool happen to ask to "force". And do not happen to last manually provided mod.

Thats why I repeat few times until it happen all mods are accepted, or I just have to kick out some not really important component.

Why this occur, and possible fix for this, is something I don't understand, but I hope my report will help Roxanne to fix it.

One more note - when Install tool say that some mods were not downloaded (it will show list of these mods and links for their manual download), first choose "r" as "retry", few times, it happen that retry download some missing mods. After that you go to "provide" them.
  • edited July 28
    Did you update to the game's new beta 2.6? I have no idea if this is already supported at all...I would refrain from updating the game if you want to mod it.
    I have never seen the two first folders that you have in your directory screenshot. What are they?
    Does any mod install if you run the setup manually?
    Last question, do you run installation as administrator?
  • edited July 28
    Speaking of 2.6, do you know any specific info, is that patch going to make any important changes? I only seen 2.6 is mentioned as beta now, didn;t have time to inform myself more.
  • Ammanda said:
    Speaking of 2.6, do you know any specific info, is that patch going to make any important changes? I only seen 2.6 is mentioned as beta now, didn;t have time to inform myself more.

I do not think it makes a big impact, maybe something to enhance use on some platforms...
    None of the player annoying issues will be fixed but hopefully it does not impact too many mods. Usually only mods dealing with deeper technical issues may be affected, in particular GUI mods.

Other than that, I would only consider an upgrade if I were to do a new installation anyway and only after 2.6 is out of beta and a really confirmed and stable baseline. There is nothing urgent why anyone should feel to switch right now.
  • Yes, for whatever I also always let new versions (never uses beta) get few patches, and when it is confirmed as pretty stable, than I start to use. Until than use proven versions.

Btw., how is this install going?
  • Ok tried all of the above and hitting the same problem.
    Re Copied clean game folders
    Downloaded latest version of the EET Tool
    Used base download folder
    The app runs and downloads everything and actually starts extraction.  it looks like it extracts everything for BGEE and SoD and then when it gets to BGEE2 it boots me out with the Weidu error.  I go back and put the Weidu executable into all directories and still have the same problem.

I have not updated to 2.6 i'm still using 2.5.  I keep all game folders on a separate drive and don't run beamdogs client unless i absolutely have to.  I'm stumped.  I will try and do an install without the 3.5 mod and see if I run into the same problem.
  • edited July 28
    Just to confirm, your complete system is either 32bit or 64bit. There are two versions of weidu, depending on your OS and the install tool determines the one to use based on the one of your main computer.

I suggest that you just try to manually install some mod on the BG2EE for test to see if that works. Use the setup-xxxxmod.exe directly in the BG2EE directory.
  • Roxanne said:
    Just to confirm, your complete system is either 32bit or 64bit. There are two versions of weidu, depending on your OS and the install tool determines the one to use based on the one of your main computer.

I suggest that you just try to manually install some mod on the BG2EE for test to see if that works. Use the setup-xxxxmod.exe directly in the BG2EE directory.

it is 64 bit.  I will try the manual install
  • edited July 28
    Another thing to check
    In BG1 and BG2 there must be a folder called weidu and a copy of weidu.exe must be inside. Maybe some over eager anti virus tool has prevented one of them since they are exe-files?